Final Fantasy VIII - Help Yourself (Find Your Way)

Silent Edge

Please read before listening:

First of all,I wanna set things straight: I am not aiming to make this track become an OCReMix one (I don't even dream of it.) ,that would be an insult to all the artist out there.

I did this totally starting from zero. It's my very first work with FL Studio,and just to let you understand what I mean,before getting to work on this track,I didn't even know what a synth was. (God,that's humiliating :banghead: ).

I have really small experience with the piano at my back though.

So let's get to the point: I'm not a highly skilled DJ or Remixer (duh!) ,I just made this to test my innate skills.

So I ask you guys,who know a bazillion of things more than me in this field,to please dedicate 5 minutes of your time to write your own opinion about it.

What do you think of my skills,considering that it's the very first time that I deal with this sort of things?

Tell me how bad they are >_>

Please,be cruel.

Final Fantasy VIII - Help Yourself (Find Your Way)

Source:

Link: http://tindeck.com/listen/ewch

Link (Old Version) : http://tindeck.com/listen/bgbq

First of all,I wanna set things straight: I am not aiming to make this track become an OCReMix one (I don't even dream of it.) ,that would be an insult to all the artist out there.

Aww... don't be too hard on yourself - I see no harm in dreaming (that's generally a good place to start, if you want to achieve it someday).

Well, to be honest, there are issues with the arrangement that are... off. Namely, some of the notes are incorrect. Strings at 1:15, for example, and the harp at 1:25. These things come in later, with the same mistakes. Listen to the source and compare again - you'll hear the difference.

The production is unbalanced. There are a lot of melodic elements that are being put to the back of the mix (and texture that's being shot to the front). In particular, that harp is faaar to loud. Use the mixer to lower the overall volume on that track. Look at the other tracks as well and balance the sound so the melodies + themes are more salient than the textures + harmonies.

The samples are pretty basic (I'm guessing FL presets). Look for some plugins and replace the presets asap. There's nothing wrong with getting the right tools early, eh? There are threads here dedicated to that, so look into them.

I like the rain effect. The arrangement was relatively accurate (except, of course, the things I mentioned). I see no reason to bash yourself when this is your first foray into the remixing world. Just take a look at this thread and this thread for a second and realize everyone needs to start somewhere, eh?

Good luck with it ;-)

Aww... don't be too hard on yourself - I see no harm in dreaming (that's generally a good place to start, if you want to achieve it someday).

Well, to be honest, there are issues with the arrangement that are... off. Namely, some of the notes are incorrect. Strings at 1:15, for example, and the harp at 1:25. These things come in later, with the same mistakes. Listen to the source and compare again - you'll hear the difference.

The production is unbalanced. There are a lot of melodic elements that are being put to the back of the mix (and texture that's being shot to the front). In particular, that harp is faaar to loud. Use the mixer to lower the overall volume on that track. Look at the other tracks as well and balance the sound so the melodies + themes are more salient than the textures + harmonies.

The samples are pretty basic (I'm guessing FL presets). Look for some plugins and replace the presets asap. There's nothing wrong with getting the right tools early, eh? There are threads here dedicated to that, so look into them.

I like the rain effect. The arrangement was relatively accurate (except, of course, the things I mentioned). I see no reason to bash yourself when this is your first foray into the remixing world. Just take a look at this thread and this thread for a second and realize everyone needs to start somewhere, eh?

Good luck with it ;-)

Thank you very much for your exhaustive answer :)

I didn't realize great part of the mistakes by myself,although I admit that I could've used some better presets,but I didn't know where to find them. I made a few with Zebra 2,thanks to zircon's Zebra video tutorials (Thanks zircon,those videos really helped me alot) .

I'll read the three threads you mentioned me,and thanks again for dedicating me a little of your time :)

Silent Edge, as a lurker on here (and one that hasn't found much to say the entire time I've lurked here) - I have to say, I'm impressed with it being your first piece with FruityLoops Studio!

Just try and follow through with what Gario has mentioned, and I'm sure this will turn into a lovely remix so, do dream.

Also, I love the rain effect and that you chose a harp (regardless of sample and production issues).

I'm looking forward to hearing improvements on this! :)

Silent Edge, as a lurker on here (and one that hasn't found much to say the entire time I've lurked here) - I have to say, I'm impressed with it being your first piece with FruityLoops Studio!

Just try and follow through with what Gario has mentioned, and I'm sure this will turn into a lovely remix so, do dream.

Also, I love the rain effect and that you chose a harp (regardless of sample and production issues).

I'm looking forward to hearing improvements on this! :)

Wow,I didn't expect an answer like that ,that surely put a smile on my face :P

You guys are really encouraging me alot!

Thank you so much :)

There's alot of work to do with this mix yet,I'll do my best to get it better :)

• 1 month later...

Thought I gave up? :P

Nah, It's just that I didn't have much time to work on this track (damn you, school.)

I've made a few changes as Gario suggested me, and I replaced much basic instruments with various synths or sounds I've found on the net.

But there are still some bad ones, like the Bells (I've synthesized that Bell sound with Zebra 2, I don't really like how it turned out, but I have just a little knowledge about synths).

Also, I couldn't find a good Orchestra Harp sample/synth yet, but I'll surely manage to find it one of these days.

I also fixed the wrong notes, wich were kinda bad to hear (Thanks Gario).

And last but not the least, I learnt the basic operations of FL Studio's Mixer and tried to balance the sounds, but I''ve still got alot to work to do with this one.

So, could you please dedicate me 3 minutes and tell me what do you think about it?? (Any kind of reviews, even negative ones would really be helpful!)

Thanks in advance!

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kia3MaNO60

Link: http://tindeck.com/listen/hsfh

• 3 months later...

This might be the last update to my first attempted rearrangement, I don't have neither the skill, nor the knowledge to complete it in a good way, but I spent some hours on it, rebuilt it all by using the little skills I have acquired in these late months!

Imma leave this project like this for a long time I guess, 'cause I have other simpler projects in my mind right now!

The next one will be another FF8 track rearrangement, I think!

Source:

Link: http://tindeck.com/listen/ewch