*NO* Xexyz 'Exizk' *FT*

Digital Coma

yeah...

[22:02] DJ Siamey: HI

[22:04] DJ Siamey: hey umm, i submitted a remix a long time ago, and i was wondering if i should ask you if it got lost, or what i should do, or something

[22:07] Digital Coma B: how long ago?

[22:08] DJ Siamey: umm (keep in mind, i have a horrible sense of time, so sorry if its not right on) but its been maybe 3 or 4 months

[22:09] DJ Siamey: it was called "Exizk" and it was from "Xexyz" for nes

[22:10] Digital Coma B: what the fuck is that

Original: http://www.zophar.net/nsf/xexyz.zip - Track 3 and later 2

Pretty simple hard techno; has many awkward parts to it, but it's sort of decent as a whole. I'll vote later.

The intro's pretty weak. Dunno if it's based on one of the game themes, as I don't have the capability to listen to the NSF at the moment. The crossfade into the changeup at :30 made little-to-no sense to me stylistically, and this second half of the intro was too atonal to stand on it's own all the way until 1:05.

Awesome flow here at 1:05 though, once your main theme came in. Certainly hope it wasn't too straightforward of a cover, but in any case it was excellent. Unfortunately, it's sandwiched in the middle of a bleh intro and a not-as-impressive second half.

The changeup at 2:42 was a terrible key change and killed the momentum you had here, along with the goodwill you had built up from that stronger previous section. I realize from your VGMix description that you liked the sudden breaks as that may fit more with this experimental rave style, but try and work for a more logical, flowing transition here, as that transition came across as lazy as hell. I'm certainly open-minded to sudden breaks in music, but most of the time they don't work well. The second theme mixed at 3:05 isn't nearly as good as the first one to me, also. Why not try to transpose the second theme to fit in key with the first, so the sudden transition isn't as jarring?

All the frequencies are topping out and in mah face and so forth, but it's supposed to be a hard trance style, so I'll let it slide. That ending at 4:07 was kind of a cop-out/time-to-give-up type of resolution. Hilarious non sequitur cough at the end. Everyone else will tell you to ditch it for being pointless, Heath, but forget 'em, that was great.

You know what you doing. Resub, bro, if you're still interested in working on this, since it's over 6 months old now. If not, this was certainly a good experiment. The sounds are generic but weren't bad on the whole, though some are gonna find this grating most of the way through, especially the second half. Anyway, I'm genuinely looking forward to your next FF7 mix, BTW. You already know I'm all for that one.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Contrary to Siamey's views, we aren't overly harsh on this genre. This is pretty neat, for what it is. My main problem here is the simplicity. I thought this sounded almost generic. If you want to keep a mix of this nature where's the interesting synth design, effects processing, interesting hooks? I don't hear enough hooks here for this genre. The ending parts are pretty neat, however I feel this is overly long for the kind of mix it is. Could do with some trimming down. I do understand that this is a very controversial topic but I thought this was overly loud. We all have volume controls - I don't buy the louder is better fad going on. This is too much in my view. The ending ends with coughing. Doesn't fit at all.

Decent mix, but too many issues compositionally, production and in execution for me to pass. NO

So basically the entire intro is terrible. Bad hats, bad synths, bad rythm, bad everything.

1:00 and up has nothing to do with keys. Its just whatever notes wherever. Really have to work on that bass synth defining better keys.

As for the rest, repetitive as hell, annoying, peircing synths, simplistic arrangement. Total lack of song stucture. etc

NO