*NO* Final Fantasy 'Battle Overture I'

OceansAndrew

Dear OcRemix,

I am Zid, submitting a track I just recorded with my guitar and pre-arranged beats. I'm using a Gibson Flying-V and the music in the background are pre-arranged in FL Studio 7.

Battle Overture I (7:15)

Submission information:

Game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy I

Individual song(s) arranged:

1)Battle Scene,

2)Inside A Boss Battle,

3)Boss Battle A+B,

4)Last Battle

Original Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

Contact information:

ReMixer name: Zid

Email: mohammadyazid@gmail.com

Thank you for your time.

--

Zid

Art - www.mohammadyazid.com

Music - www.purevolume.com/zid

Wow, it's Zid; i've been a fan of your artwork for a long time! Very cool you are subbing to OCR!

Playing was pretty solid, with a lot of nice additional flourishes and some good tapping passages. The tone wasn't amazing, but but had a decent low-fi indie vibe. Drums were pretty good sounding, and the bass and rhythm tracks were decent as well. Some of the mixing was a little crowded in some spots, and i think a little eq and additional panning would gel things together a little better. Transitions between sections were pretty good, though it was clearly a medley.

Arrangement was on the conservative side at first,it ramps into a lot more interpretation. Not sure what is up with that abrupt ending though, it's like the song isn't finished and the file gets cut off.

I really enjoyed this, but the crowded production issues and ending cutoff put this just south of the bar.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty long track overall. The transitions are done well, but it's not hard to separate each theme from one another. I'm a fan of spending more time on one theme to add more variation and adaptions to it rather than a medley, but this does get the job done in terms of arrangement.

OA is absolutely right that the track gets a crowded in some spots. I think working on the balance and eq on this is really going to help things out. It might just be me, but I'm getting some static on the guitar in some spots. You might want to check with some people to confirm or deny that. The ending also could use some fleshing out as well.

I think you're close, but this needs some work yet. NO (resubmit)

The guitar rockage and synths were combined in a really interesting way, and though it started conservatively, I think enough was done to make it stand apart from the original songs. You threw in little details that made me smile. Guitar playing wasn't perfect, but it was solid.

The first big issue is that the song sounds like a medley and not one single piece of work, which is one of our submission criteria. The intro was the most egregious section and this would have been a stronger song without it. It didn't have the same style as what followed it, and was generally out-of-place. Even the later sections sounded pasted together, though it was hard to fault any individual section.

The second big issue is the production. There's a lot going on at any given moment and nothing has the space it needs to stand out as an individual element. I also heard some static, which I'm not sure was the guitar or something else, but it made this kind of irritating to listen to. Try to spend more time with balancing levels and using EQ; compare to professional songs if necessary.

This might be tough to turn into a passable remix because of the first issue, but I liked what I heard here, and it'd be great to hear more. If you can hone your production, you could make some really cool stuff.

NO