Looking to buy a midi controller.

Tensei

I've decided to buy a midi controller, so I'd like to hear a few opinions. I'm mostly looking for something cheaper than 500 euros, with at least 61 keys (since I kinda want to use it to improve my piano playing as well), but I also want it to be programmable and versatile for stuff with keyswitches, aftertouch, etc. so I can record live parts for my music.

I'm currently eyeing This m-audio axiom 61 but if there's a cheaper/better alternative, I'd love to hear it.

I've decided to buy a midi controller, so I'd like to hear a few opinions. I'm mostly looking for something cheaper than 500 euros, with at least 61 keys (since I kinda want to use it to improve my piano playing as well), but I also want it to be programmable and versatile for stuff with keyswitches, aftertouch, etc. so I can record live parts for my music.

I'm currently eyeing This m-audio axiom 61 but if there's a cheaper/better alternative, I'd love to hear it.

i have this axiom 61, and you will not be disaponinted. (especially with ableton and fl :) )

I've decided to buy a midi controller, so I'd like to hear a few opinions.

MIDI controllers live quite long, so investing in them and testing them is important. Don't buy without playing it.

but I also want it to be programmable and versatile for stuff with keyswitches, aftertouch, etc.

But keyswitches depend on the software, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

but if there's a cheaper/better alternative, I'd love to hear it.

Do you need the drumpads? How many sliders/rotary knobs do you need? If the answer to that is "not much", also check out the Yamaha KX series - though those seem to have been phased out (perhaps they'll have something new at the next Messe, who knows).

What I'm mostly disappointed about nowadays is the build quality of controllers and the feel of the keyboard. For the cheaper models it's so bad I'd rather buy a secondhand synthesizer with a good/great keyboard feel and get the knobs/sliders separately (and even then the Novation Nocturn's built so cheaply that it makes one cry).

I've got a Roland XP-30 for the keys; compact, steel case, synth action beats most controllers with ease for the quality. Those go for 350, but they only have 4 sliders so you need to spend the rest on a knob/slider box.

I've also got a Yamaha CS6x, but the keyboard of that isn't as good as the one on the AN1x (which just can't filter its aftertouch out, which makes it less than ideal as a controller). It's also bulkier than the XP.

For me, the feel of the keyboard is the most important. No amount of sliders, pads or knobs can fix that, and it's the thing you'll be dealing with every day. Don't skimp on it; and if that means buying an older synthesizer because of the superior build quality, $30 on a 1x1 USB MIDI interface gets you up and running.

I have to agree. I have the Axiom 61 Pro, and it's great. Works fine with FLStudio9. I'm a pianist, too, and while the action isn't hammer-like, it's actually pretty good -- at least better than all comparably priced controllers I've played on. I SUCK playing on synth action, but I didn't notice any loss of playing ability when using my Axiom 61 Pro. That really sold it for me. I also can't imagine a situation in which I'd need every knob and fader, but I'm fairly new to this as well. It seems sufficiently featured to me, as well.

It auto maps to about every other DAW than FLStudio, too. I haven't found that to be a hindrance, even though I use FLStudio with it. Just takes a bit of time to configure on your own.

If you need something else with sliders and knobs, I highly recommend the Novation Nocturn. I use it in my live keyboard rig.

I can recommend the Axiom 61 as well; it's got a pretty good semi-weighted action which, in my opinion, is a good compromise between weighted action for piano playing and synth action for everything else.

Lastly, don't worry so much about how programmable your keyboard is, at least not at the expense of the touch and feel of the keyboard. There's a piece of software called Bome's MIDI Translator that's pretty cheap (free if you send the developer a postcard) that lets you convert MIDI messages into others - you could run everything from the keyboard into Bome's, and from Bome's into your DAW, letting Bome's do any conversions that the keyboard doesn't do for you. Let me know if you need any help with this; I'm using it in fairly advanced ways in my live keyboard rig.

I bought the Axiom 61 Pro's competition: the Novation 61 SL MkII. I'm mostly quite pleased with it. it has far better control than the Axiom, but (I'm no keyboardist/pianist, but) the keys action feel a little funny to me. I tried a regular Axiom before, I liked the keys better on that one, though they stick from time to time.

Actually, I just noticed this just yesterday. There are some keys that stick. Not as in they remain down and you have to pull them up, but more that they take a bit longer than other keys to spring back up -- still a very brief amount of time, though. It isn't much of a bother in fast passages, but when I'm playing slow things, it's a little distracting and throws me off rhythm or makes my fingers fumble a bit. Oh well, I guess that's what quantization and the piano roll are for. I still love the Axiom 61 Pro.

Maybe I'm lame because a lot of people complain about this, but I actually really like the way it looks, too.