FFVI: Savage Nightmare (Another World of Beasts)

ectogemia

Here's my first attempt at a solo mix.

The concept:

Guy goes to sleep in haunted house. Guy starts having a creepy dream. Dream becomes nightmare. Nightmare fills with all his greatest fears. Oh, and monsters. Guy can't wake up. Guy is trapped in nightmare. Eternal terror and torment forever.

It's a bit rough around the edges, but the motifs are in place, and since I'm so new to all of this, I don't want to finish it and have it unsalvageable due to crappy mixing, mastering, or arrangement. So I've uploaded it in a fairly raw form with the hope that any of you more experienced people can hear things I'm totally overlooking before I get too far in.

I know the samples are bad, but I'm working with free samples exclusively at the moment. There's a couple of peaks in there, too, that I haven't been able to work out yet.

Also, the source and mix are both in 7/8, so yes, it sounds weird/awesome.

Thanks!!

Mix

I'm liking the strings' volume swells at the beginning. One might say they are...swell. 8-)

Percussion sounds pretty awkward when it comes in at 0:28; it's like essential parts are missing, leaving the other sounds exposed to limp along on their own. It starts to sound much better at 0:47. The buildup could be more effective with a few changes. The little reversed percussive sounds in the background (they might be reversed snares, not sure) are placed strangely, and I don't think I'd make the regular snare so prominent right from the start of the buildup. More bass drum would be good there.

The synth starting at 1:06 sounds cool, and it's the first part of the remix where I recognize the source, but some of the notes just aren't fitting in well for me. In particular, the long notes at 1:09, 1:13, and 1:18 (hopefully the times translate well across media players).

Overall, this is pretty good for a first attempt. It took me a while to figure out how to make my stuff not boring. :<

Haha now I'm listening to my early work. AWKWARD NOSTALGIA TIME