Doom Troopers "Firemove" Resub attempt

Mak Eightman

I think "Out of tune" really hit the mark concerning that solo. The guitar is out of tune, there's no pleasant way of saying that. I'd try to do the guitars again, check the tuning, and really pay attention to the intonation.

And it doesn't start at like 1:33.. to my ears, it starts clashing at 0:22.

The solo at around 1:50 is actually the one that starts out okay till about 2:01 when for a few seconds, it was bad enough to remind of that infamous amateur Final Countdown cover.

Overall, if the intonation was good, I think this would be a lot easier to assess. Please do something about the intonation and repost.

From 0:22? Hm.. I don't hear something wrong on left and right rhythm. But centered rhythm may be.

The guitar chords that come in at 0:22 sound like they are clashing. Though the real problem imo is the over-lapping you have going on with the guitar solo starting at around 0:33. That comes back a number of times in your song. There's an intonation problem throughout those themes.

• 3 weeks later...

this is pretty cool. conservative arrangement that takes the more expansive approach. there are some good embellishments on the melodies but I would've liked to see a little more variation in the beat/basslines. sequenced sounds are just a little generic imo, but the production is farily solid, so it's not a big issue. gonna break it down section by section for this..

-nice rhythm guitars at :22 :)

-:33-:54 is good, not sure if i love that phaser/flanger effect on the guitar. i also think the guitar has some slight timing problems in this section, but otherwise pretty cool.

-:55-1:05 guitars are out of tune.

-1:06-1:27, mostly a rehash of the intro.. would be a good time to throw in a little variation in the beat or some more original material.

-1:55 lead guitar is a little hot on the mid-highs, you could subdue that just a bit without losing the intensity.

fix up some of these production problems and this will be a solid mix. wouldn't mind if you expanded on the arrangement a little more either but i think it's well done regardless.

best of luck!

This sounds really cool to me. Definitely on the conservative side, but it's really a huge sound upgrade from the source (obviously). I really liked the drum track throughout and the cool filtered buildup into the outro solo was done well. Effects in general were well used IMO.

One thing that catches my ear is how the rhythm track drops out after the first riff (which i really like by the way). I think it would be pretty cool if you played the bass part on the rhythm guitar when the lead comes in, or something like that.

A couple timing issues were present, you could just tighten that up a bit.

I thought it was pretty solid overall though. Production was good. All the elements came through clearly. It was good :-)

When the lead comes in there is something going on that makes it sound quite muddy. I think it's a combination of the effect you have running on the lead, as well as what the rhythm guitars are playing. I stand by my advice of playing the bass part on the rhythm guitars along with the lead, but I think it would sound a lot cleaner if you played it palm muted instead of all open. I think that alone would make that part sound just about perfect.

The rest of the track is sounding great to me overall; one thing that kinda bothers me is that when the lead comes in just before the filtered drums towards the end, it still seems a little bit hot. It kinda pierces my ears and makes me have to turn the volume down a bit, you know?

Ultimately, I love the energy of the track, and again, the production in general sounds really solid to me.

• 4 months later...

Hello! Here I am! Again..

This mix was on the Judges Panel and NO, was an answer. But awesome judges said RESUBMIT!

Now Im gonna try to resub this mix!

Little update: stats.png

I made some balance changes, some EQ'ing and changed synth lead at the beginning of mix. I have doubts about 1:30 lead guitar(loudness) and same for led synth at the very beginning.

Also probably I have to redone drums section completely, because of "overcompression".

Your thoughts ppl? Appreciate anything YOU say!

Source: