*NO* Animal Crossing 'Midnight Cruise'

OceansAndrew

Bruce Bonebrake

Hello and thanks in advance for your consideration!

My name is Bruce Bonebrake and I'm submitting a remix I made of the song K.K. Cruisin' from Animal Crossing on the GameCube. I don't really have a ReMixer name (as this is my first remix) though CoinBlockCaper would be good if I can just choose one. If there are more advanced politics in establishing a ReMixer name, would you please instruct me how to do so? I would love to do more work with remixing.

I've called it Midnight Cruise. It's about the same tempo and format as the original, but done with guitars and a set of drums. I recorded all of the parts myself. Hopefully the mixing and volume levels are good, I had the fortune of having an OCRemix artist critique my work and after a few edits I think it's pretty solid.

If there is anything I need to change, please let me know. This is my best piece of work and I just want it to be enjoyed!

Thanks again!

-Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsPRCQ4XnPM

There's a lot of good things going on here. Knowing that you recorded everything live adds a nice touch to the piece, and overall the groove, while pretty similar to the original, is done nicely.

Unfortunately there are some flaws that are pulling this track down. I'm not crazy about the distant sound on the lead guitar overall, which sounds a bit out of place compared to the rest of the instruments. It needs to be brought a little more forefront, and maybe just a hair louder overall. The overall arrangement stays a little too close to the structure of the original. I like the solos thrown in, and I'd like to hear more of that and more variation of the source melody as well. Along with that, the rhythm guitars get a bit stuck on the same pattern for a lot of the piece, and could really use some variety to help bring this track to life. The drum patterns are pretty great, so I know you have it in you to change those guitar patterns.

Great start, needs some fixes.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Deia that the lead tone is just a touch too far back; everything just feels more prominent because of placement, and though there is a bit of interpretation, I wish it expanded even more, or maybe deviated with an original bridge section to make it a little more unique. Nice modulation near the end, which was a classy way to close out the track, by the way.

The performances were great, understated, but with some serious chops under the surface. The harmonized guitar leads were incredibly tight, really got my attention there! :-)

Besides the guitar sounding too far back, and maybe a touch too dirty, the production sounded really nice. Almost where it needs to be for passing. As for arrangement, I think a little more content would help this out, and I strongly encourage adding a bridge or something.

Overall it's on the short end of things, but I think if you moved the guitar up it'd be there. Regardless of how this does, I am definitely interested in hearing more from you, Mr. Bonebrake. :-)

No (please resubmit)

• 2 months later...

If I never have to judge an Animal Crossing sub, I'd be a happy man. If I could only judge these tracks without listening to the source... they're always an improvement.

The mixing was kind of wonky here. Kick was too subbassy, could have used more thwack. The jazzy backing guitars were more felt than heard, but in such a sparse mix, there's no reason not to include more of the body. The lead guitars sounded like they were in a different space, and I don't think the recording was clean enough - you can hear the static really clearly at the end.

Besides that, the arrangement was pleasant and I liked the subtle detail in the playing, but the backing track needed some kind of change-up. It was coasting after the first minute and a half, and that would have been a great place to change the patterns, maybe introduce some fancy drum soloing.

I'd like to hear another version if you've got one in you.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Man the rhythm guitar is seriously hurting this track. Not the performance, but the tone. Waaay too wet and washy in the low mids. you really need to trim that away, and give some clarity. They are taking up way too much of the energy of the mix. The lead guitar could also use some extra presence. As it is, this thing is just muddy.

NO