NES Concert Band Medley

mrtrent

This is an arrangement I created with some help from award winning video game composer, Richard Jacques, who has worked with Video Games Live to bring us the Sonic Medley and Classic Arcade Medley, on which this arrangement is based.

Here is the mp3

http://soundcloud.com/mrtrent/nes-concert-winds-medley

This can really only be enjoyed by watching it live though. I designed a video to be synced with what the band is playing, but they changed some tempos so it gets out of sync around megaman.

Performed by the St. Mary's University Concert Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5yoCIOjKgA

This should definintely be re-recorded in a non-concert setting, maybe with a little more practice; the arrangement is obviously well done (as would be expected), and doesn't need any real work, but the quality of the playing was not up to the level of the arrangement.

If the execution was able to match the arrangement, this would be incredible.

Well I'm glad you guys enjoyed the arrangement!

I was just happy to finally hear one of my arrangements performed ( I've been passing out sheet music for 5 years), but yeah, I would love to have something recorded in studio. It could have been much more. I was a little disappointed that they changed some of the tempos of some songs, putting it out of sync with the video that I provided for them ( at the end of balloon fight you can hear the audience laughing from the balloon pop noise syncing with the fighters balloon popping, and him falling into the water). But the one thing that got me...the piccolo player messed up her ONE solo in kid Icarus! haha

oooh i like this. reminds me of the super smash bros melee concert DX medley that nintendo released way back for nintendo power subscribers! :wink:

It was inspired by it! Plus the classic arcade medley of Video Games Live. The balloon fight, ice climber, and metroid sections were inspired by that concert, smashing live, and mega man 2, duck hunt, and ghosts n goblics was inspired by Video Games Live. Punch out was also from VGL but I expanded it to fit the NES version of the ending theme. Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, and Tetris were my own ideas that I tried very much not to borrow any from anyone else.

Great arrangement. I LOVED the Tetris part and the Punch-Out! intro. For the Final Fantasy 1 section, I would have been thrilled to hear Matoya's Cave, or maybe the Battle Theme leading into the victory fanfare. Also, it would have been amazing to hear the Moon theme from Ducktales, that song is still beyond epic.

Regardless, great arranging. I'm a clarinet player for the Army and would love to suggest this to the command team for my band, see if they'd be interested in working it up. Want me to see what I can do?

Great arrangement. I LOVED the Tetris part and the Punch-Out! intro. For the Final Fantasy 1 section, I would have been thrilled to hear Matoya's Cave, or maybe the Battle Theme leading into the victory fanfare. Also, it would have been amazing to hear the Moon theme from Ducktales, that song is still beyond epic.

Regardless, great arranging. I'm a clarinet player for the Army and would love to suggest this to the command team for my band, see if they'd be interested in working it up. Want me to see what I can do?

Most certainly! That would be excellent. I have a couple other arrangements as well for mario, sonic, and hopefully soon to be Legend of Zelda. You can hear midi versions of those on my youtube page. Also some jazzy big band arrangements!

• 1 month later...