OCR02243 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 'Keep Your Nightmares'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: Flexstyle

Your real name: Michael Birch

Your website: flexstylemusic.com

Your userid: 22246

Name of game(s) arranged: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Great Moblin's Keep

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-g5DAXrZZs

Well, first off, this song here is part of the unofficial remix album "Essence of Lime," a remaking of the entire Oracle of Ages soundtrack, released in June 2010 over at essenceoflime.revasser.net. I got wind of its existence rather late, but managed to contribute a couple of tracks. This is a very dark and cold drum'n'bass track (a genre that OCR seems to be sadly lacking...hmm...), as this part of the game apparently takes place in a cave of some sort? I wouldn't know, sadly, as I've never played it. Strangely enough, that seems to be the case with almost every game track I remix...ah well, I digress.

I tried to give the already-spooky track a serious jolt of adrenaline while making it every bit as creepy as possible. 'Nuff said. Hope y'all enjoy it!

-Michael (Flexstyle)

source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbKpW1mpkWM

When this started out I was a little skeptical, as that snare is silly weak, but it was one of those "gotcha" moments as the song gradually evolved into something a lot more badass. There is some good variation on the theme to keep it interesting in several spots, but it seemed like this was really being driven by the percussion, and though the song itself is short, there is a reasonable amount of interest based on such a tiny source track for this to be passable for me. I think a little more variation could have helped, but between the effects, the percussion, and the overall presentation, this is above the bar for me.

Yes

The intro is definitely deceptive. Once things kick in, you've got a lot of good things going on. I like that you kept the creepy atmosphere and added onto it. My biggest issue is that there isn't too much variation of the melody itself, but there is a lot of other additions. The whole song is pretty percussion-centric, which would get old if the song wasn't the length that it was (being on the shorter side really works for this).

Kind of a tough call on this, but it's a pass for me.

YES

• 2 months later...

This lacked melodic variation, but drum'n'bass is close to the worst genre for expecting that. I'm not even sure I would have liked the result more. I dug this overall, and thought the approach was fine because of how original the backing track was. The soundscape was hellish and the off-kilter Moblin melody suited it. The low-end got a little messy, and I'd like to listen to this on monitors when I get a chance to see if the subbass is too overpowering, but this seems like a pass.

YES

• 1 month later...

yeah trying to remix zelda oracle music is kinda like torture imo, but Essence of Lime definitely spawned some nice remixes. the arrangement kinda reminds me of PR's 'Nullification' in the approach, although taken in a more upbeat direction. you've done a good job of mangling up the melodies to keep them from getting too repetitive (considering the source is 18 seconds long), and the attention to detail in the percussion was great. the synths were nice too, always warping and modulating. good stuff here.

YES