OCR02361 - *YES* Pokémon Blue Version 'Blue Haze' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

Don't think we're gonna resub if it doesn't pass. plz use the album mp3 version for ocr, my version is just included because I lost the mastered files, and so you have something for arrangement judging... so it's a temp thing until someone links the album or something.

Blue Haze, my collab with Will, and its previous NOd decision thread (not gonna rewrite that stuff):

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27977

There will afaik be more track comments on the pokémon project website, so djp has more to draw on if it passes.

-ad

• 3 weeks later...

I don't totally remember the original version of this in terms of the issues we had with it last time, but I do remember that I enjoyed the overall soundscape and idea with the arrangement. Things are still a little meandering overall, but it seems to fit with the idea of the 'haziness'.

Production seems to be pretty good overall. Still a little muddy at times, but again, it seems to add to the overall atmosphere, and nothing is really detracting from listening.

I think this works.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is a case of where the somewhat meandering arrangement feels right for a song. There is a good gradual expansion, so that by the time the song is done, it's built up quite a bit. I felt that the arrangement had enough direction to be passable, and the layered melodies were fun.

I think at times the arrangement is even too subtle, where a lot of the excellent details like the multi-panned percussion and interesting bassline are lost. The remedy for this is close listening, of course, and there is a lot to really love about this arrangement if it's attention demands are met. There aren't really defined transitions, just parts that wander in and out but that fits the theme.

There were still some weird production choices, mainly the weaksauce drums. They didn't cut through at all and just added to a sortof grey fuzz to the background, which was unfortunate, because the partwriting for them was really nice, but everything else worked better for me.

Nice improvement overall, I'll take it. :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...

I really love the direction of the arrangement; the intro in particular is great, very Tears for Fears-esque sounds and writing (a very good thing in my book :)). pretty unique treatment of such a happy source.

wasn't digging the meandering so much. 1:46 was a big momentum killer for me; I think you could have literally jumped straight to 2:43 or 3:05 and left out everything between without sacrificing any buildup. I just get really bored during that section. Will's leads feel a bit buried until 2:43 as well, and the drums are a weak point too, though the writing was fine.

tough vote. I can see where the yes's are coming from, but personally I'm not comfortable passing this as-is. I think the arrangement needs to be condensed, and aside from the intro, the mixing still feels unpolished. sorry, bros. :[

NO(resub)

I think the arrangement is fine. It's a personal taste thing more than an ultimate "Do it this way" thing. Things got ugly for me around the middle of the song. Feels like it's out of key.

But the majority of the song is eerie, calming and has a "Cool" sound to it. The sort of music I could see djp listening to while cruising around in a convertible wearing sunglasses.

The source is clear as well, just to cover that aspect. Nice work. I don't know the difference between this and the version that got rejected, but this one is great.

YES