Light compression/Heavy compression

some of you guys are probably gonna castrate me for this, but what do people mean when they say light compression or heavy compression. I wouldn't be asking if I could find a website where I can just get a straight answer on the subject instead of what a compressor does.

Does that mean the threshold at which you set the compressor or does it mean a combination of things? Someone help me on this lol xD.

some of you guys are probably gonna castrate me for this, but what do people mean when they say light compression or heavy compression. I wouldn't be asking if I could find a website where I can just get a straight answer on the subject instead of what a compressor does.

Does that mean the threshold at which you set the compressor or does it mean a combination of things? Someone help me on this lol xD.

It's more about the compression ratio than about at what level the compressor kicks in. Heavy compression is when you have a high ratio and the compressor is working almost all the time. Light compression is, well, lighter than that.

Threshold by itself is meaningless, since a quiet track will need a lower threshold for the compressor to matter at all, whereas a louder track usually should have a higher threshold. It's threshold relative to input level that matters.