Thinkin about gettin the micro korg

many parameters, very few knobs...can't imagine having fun programming this thing.

if you want hardware you should really ask yourself why. once the initial enthusiasm about your shiny new object wears off, you might start asking yourself why you really need it.

imo, valid reasons for getting hardware synths are:

-live use

-sound unmatched by software

-haptic quality, i.e. getting inspiration from a physical instrument right in front of you.

my opinion on the microkorg:

it's good for live use, offers a lot of synthesis options in a neat little box.

the sound is decent but nothing special. a bunch of freeware synths live up to it.

programming the synth isn't fun. too many parameters, very limited amount of knobs. i'm not talking about twiddling the filter cutoff on a preset, i'm talking about making a patch from scratch. not fun.

just give it a try if you feel you have to. i really wanted it too and sold it a couple months later.

I personally would only buy something if it was needed for portable needs. There are really only a few hardware emulators that are really worth owning, IMHO. Those would be either something for Nord or Access. Actually, there is one little synth that I've had some time with and felt that it was quite nice. That was the Novation Xiosynth.

For the most part, you can achieve what you need with software. If you're going to buy a hardware synth, you're better off putting your money into something that's analog.