*NO* Final Fantasy 'Fierce Fairground Fight'

OceansAndrew

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name: blackguitar

• Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 30704, Artist ID: 5877

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy 1 (NES)

• Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Shop Theme", "Floating Castle", "Menu Screen"

• Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):

• Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

When Brandon asked me to collaborate on his FF1 project, i was happy to help because i fell in love with the series' music nearly twenty years ago. To rework their musical roots means much to me. since nearly all tracks were taken when i entered the project, i decided to make a medley from 3 remaining pieces that, in my opinion, fit perfectly together (with a little harmonic change here and there). The project goal was to recreate the music in a progressive-rock-metal-fashion, and a dark mood suited perfectly for me, so i modulated two songs to minor. the evil "Floating Castle" didn't need a change, it sounded genuine metal from the beginning ;-). The funny "Shop Theme" sounds like a fairground organ piece to me, thus, i chose that instrument and also named the whole remix: "Fierce Fairground Fight". Hope you like it!

Brandon asked me to make a breakdown when i submit this so here it is.

0:00-0:10 Intro (Original)

0:10-0:18 "Shop Theme"

0:18-0:55 "Shop Theme" (minor)

0:55-1:34 "Floating Castle"

1:34-1:58 Transition (loosely based on "Menu Screen" (minor))

1:58-2:34 "Menu Screen" (minor)

2:34-2:44 Intro (Original) + Transition

2:44-3:31 "Shop Theme" + "Floating Castle" mixed

3:07-3:31 Solo ("Shop Theme"-harmonies)

3:31-3:43 Transition

3:43-5:39 Outro (loosely based on "Menu Screen" (minor))

This is a project track (Brandon Strader's FF1-Project)

EDIT: Resubmitted this on OA's advice to soften the brickwall-limiter. hope its ok now...

• 2 weeks later...

- Shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDmOlNFpXg - Floating Castle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxdZosvHc8 - Menu Screen

-------------------

I'm torn on this. There are some spots that area really good, and super fun to listen to, but the song doesn't feel terribly cohesive to me. The opening feels tacked on, especially the chip-rock jump, and almost every other song transition is almost out of nowhere. Sometimes it works, but a lot of it feels just too random and sudden. On the good side though, the solo is pretty sweet, and I really love the 'outro'. If you took just that ending and fleshed it out to it's own mix it would be damn good, IMO.

Guitars are taking over this mix in the worst way and are overcompressed. They're drowning out the drums pretty badly. Definitely needs to be looked at.

The production definitely needs some work, and the arrangement could use another look, in my opinion. Other judges might not have the same issues I do on that aspect, so see what they have to say.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hah, nice little unexpected organ interlude right after the metal opening, only to have the listener crushed by moar metal.

The positive: really liked how you handled the themes here. Nice work weaving in the arrangements together. Personally, the transitions didn't bother me here. Great performance and drum programming, as mentioned before.

The not so good: gotta echo DOA here (see what I did there?) that things are super overcompressed. Just listening to how squashed the snare tone should be a quick clue to this problem. Cymbals get pushed out to the point that they're distorted - you get the idea.

No, please resubmit