Sonic 3 Final Boss theme for Orchestra

mrtrent

This is a piece I arranged for orchestra. These aren't the best sound samples, I know. I am not a sequencer. I write my arrangements with the intention for them to be performed. I really just make the sound files so that people can get an idea of what it will sound like. I haven't had this piece performed yet, though I'd like to! I'm currently trying to get funds together to hire an orchestra...so any help you guys can give me, by donating or forwarding my link would be most helpful!

Composed by Various

Arranged by Cody "MrTrent" Chavez

MP3

http://soundcloud.com/mrtrent/sonic-the-hedgehog-3-final

donation thing to help me hire an orchestra

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/168850550/hire-an-orchestra-to-play-video-game-music

Truth be told, it is extremely similar to the original, but there are parts, though they don't shine to well with my lame synth, that I added in there of my own. Technically speaking though, almost any addition would make it an arrangement, particularly the percussion section I added.

Before you try to get donations for an orchestra to perform your rewrites for Sonic music, realize that they probably won't touch copyrighted music without expressed permission from the copyright holders, so the best you could do is get someone with good equipment to sequence it so it sounds realistic (and people nowadays can do a really good job at that, btw). It's well over 95% cheaper (if you asked someone to get your orchestral rendition run through their system for 400$ or even less I'm sure people would jump at the opportunity - I mean, make that offer to Nutritious or Vampire Hunter Dan and see what happens :P) and there won't be nearly as much legal struggle, since people do this sort of thing all the time (for free most of the time, no less).

Aside from that, if you were to get a real orchestra to do anything you need to pay attention to what it physically possible. I can't say for sure, but I suspect horns would have a difficult time getting those quick runs performed cleanly. Horns tend to do a lot of lip work to make their instrument sound correct, so it would be very tough, at best, to get that effect. Trumpets that focus quite a bit on their valve work would probably be a better choice for that. You need to be aware of things like that if you want to write true orchestral music - otherwise money will be wasted on excessively difficult performances that don't come out as clean as you'd like.

I can hear the variations, and they work well. There are a few notes in there that don't ring well with me (like that run at 0:44-0:45), but those can easily be fixed with a couple of listens and comparisons with the source.

Best of luck finding someone to help you with this.

Good advice in the orchestra thing. Though There shouldn't be a problem with this orchestra, or else I'd be more worried if I were the Zelda Re orchestrated group who have similar, and bigger orchestra endeavors coming up.

I am pretty well versed in the limitations of orchestras, particularly the more experienced ones. The F horns are more than capable enough to produce a good sound doing that sort of technique. I have heard it used in several film scores and original pieces. For example here in Frank Ticheli's "Cajun Folk Songs" at the 2:57 mark

As long as you know the orchestra that you're working with, there shouldn't be a problem. Just things that you need to be aware of, is all, and it looks like you are.

Best of luck with it - and good luck finding the money sum for the track. With that price, though, make absolute sure there's no mistakes in the score you'd regret later... :wink: