Need help recording sounds off the desktop

Gario

Hey everybody.

I'm trying to get proper samples off of various programs for a project I'm involved in, but ever since Windows decided to throw 'Vista' at me I can't seem to figure out how to make the input change from an external mic to the internal output (if that makes sense). It's a little frustrating since it seems that they're taking away functionality from their users, but I digress... :|

Does anyone have experience recording the sound that is coming from the computer with Windows 7? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everybody.

I'm trying to get proper samples off of various programs for a project I'm involved in, but ever since Windows decided to throw 'Vista' at me I can't seem to figure out how to make the input change from an external mic to the internal output (if that makes sense). It's a little frustrating since it seems that they're taking away functionality from their users, but I digress... :|

Does anyone have experience recording the sound that is coming from the computer with Windows 7? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using a sound card, audio interface, or integrated audio?

I did some routing on my interface to route the output back into the input with a 1/4" cable and then do crazy stuff in FL's mixer. So yes, all sounds coming from your computer would be sent into FL Studio. There's a better way to do it, i'm sure, but my way works. :P

If you're interested, contact me via Skype: neblixsaber.

Otherwise, try a screen recorder. (then cut out the video)

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing you've found a solution by now, but just in case you or anyone needs to know:

1. Right click the audio icon, and select "Recording Devices".

2. Right click in the blank area that pops up and select to show both disabled and disconnected devices.

3. "Stereo Mix" should appear. Right-click and select "Enable".

For visual assistance: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hello, thread. Actually I've been diverted from this little project for some time. Technically Neblix' method will work, but I'd love to avoid the work involved in that method if I can.

The option doesn't come up on my computer, so it's still a pickling situation - as I said, I've done it before, it's just Windows 7 that gives me trouble with it. Perhaps I'll try getting an older driver for the computer to get the option to appear, when I have the time.