I am SO TIRED of my mixes not sounding clean!

Modus

I always have a limiter running. I set the ceiling to -.2 db and usually end up pushing the gain up anywhere from 5 to 12 db, depending on how much volume the tracks have.

Different genres have different ideas about volume. You won't see a classical orchestra pushing everything up to -.2 db and using a lot of compression, they feed of dynamics from super soft to very loud. On the other hand, put in a hard rock cd and they've got it as hot as they can get it without ducking on the compression, even the "quiet" parts are loud. Open up a classical song and a song by Sick Puppies or Dream Theater (or any band you know or like that uses distorted guitars in a rock setting) in a wave editor and you'll quickly see major differences in the shapes of the wave.

Even if you're not trying to up your volume level, a limiter is always a good tool to have and use. It'll protect your speakers, your ears, and your listeners.

Haven't read many of the posts here so this may have been touched on, but as a reverb maniac, I use reverb TONS in my mixes, and it used to make them very muddy. A tip to right that problem is use a reverb that has EQ settings, and take out the Low frequency of the EQ as appropriate. By saying that I don't mean "do this for ALL reverb" but EQing reverb can work WONDERS on a muddy mix. Just my 2 cents there.