Acoustic Guitar shopping

Ssup guys, looking for a new bang-around acoustic guitar. Budget is around $300-500. I'm looking for something that I can drag around with me to gigs etc and not worry too much about it getting some love scars on it, but that still sounds good.

Let's hear what you guys suggest. I'll still probably run down to Guitar Center and play around on a few, but I'm always curious to see what other people suggest. Also, if it matters, I'm looking for one with a pickup (and EQ/tuner) included.

I've always like the plugged in sound of Ovation guitars. They have a curved back body though and some people find that too awkward for comfortableness.

Heh, I actually have an Ovation Celebrity, and while it did sound nice, the guitar was on the whole a pretty big piece of junk. I bought it new, and a couple years later (with minimal playing) the neck has actually separated from the plastic shell. :(

martin's model numbering system is completely lost on me, so i can't point to a specific model, but they have a few acoustic/electrics in the $500-ish range that sound and play great. i picked up one about three years ago that i've been really happy with that i've used for playing shows and some recording. it's definitely taken a bit of beating but i haven't had any issues with it. one thing to note, though - of the martins i played while i was shopping around, i noticed that they tend to have pretty low action compared to most other brands, which is something i actually prefer but might not be your cup of tea.

good luck with the search!

Looks super nice, and the price is great. Cutaway body is preferred, but not essential. That one doesn't seem to have a built in pickup though...

Oh, didn't read the pickup part. There's this one though it's $50 above your $500 budget. Still, mine has the most amazing action I've ever played on a sub-$1000 acoustic guitar. Same model just no pickup since I don't play live and I prefer to record with a condenser mic.

Oh, didn't read the pickup part. There's this one though it's $50 above your $500 budget. Still, mine has the most amazing action I've ever played on a sub-$1000 acoustic guitar. Same model just no pickup since I don't play live and I prefer to record with a condenser mic.

I prefer DI and a mic for recording. But for playing live, I usually just go DI.