*NO* Quake 2 'Strogg House Party'

OceansAndrew

Interesting take on the source. It took me a few listens to hone in on how you were using the source, and overall I think this is a bit of a tenuous connection overall. Maybe someone who is hardcore solid with the soundtrack could pick this out, but I'm having a tough time, despite multiple listens of both the source and the mix back-to-back.

Drumwork is pretty solid all around, kudos on that. They really work with the track nicely. Can't say I'm a fan of the lead guitar sound overall, I think you could stand to change that up with a better sample. After the bass intro and one other section, I feel like the low end is lacking, and could use more presence as well.

Ending cuts of somewhat abruptly, please check on that!

If you can make the source connection more solid and look at some of those production tweaks, I think you'll be taking this in the right direction.

NO (resubmit)

Drums are the highlight here, with some cool ideas and a lot of good patterns. The guitar sample is not really cutting it, and sounds way fakey. The balance is pretty off too in some parts. When your panned and filtered synth comes in, it gets caught up with the bass and guitar in some spots, forcing the compressor to clamp down super hard in those sections, making things a bit painful.

I think this has a good start, but it needs some polish and adjustment to make it over the bar. I recommend hitting up the WIP threads for some additional tips :-)

No

the guitar sample definitely sounds fake, and the overall mix feels a bit muffled. the drums were a highlight; could have used a little more snap in the upper frequencies, but the sequencing was solid and the various glitch effects were tastefully used.

gotta side with Deia on the arrangement. I can hear the connection in the main guitar parts, but other than that this seems pretty liberal. suffice to say the original is just droned-out ambiance for the most part, the usage should be more overt. do consider hitting up the workshop forum for continued advice. :)

NO