gates and retriggers

i've been listening to a lot of music that uses extensive gating and retriggering throughout multiple instrumental parts lately. when attempting to recreate that, i've been using dblue glitch, and it seems to be working fine for what i want. unfortunately, it's really unwieldy to use solely for one of those effecting types as listed above. is there an effect or technique for FL 9/10 that would allow me to do this? or do i just have to export the pattern to a wave, chop it with a slicer, and mess with it that way?

Peak Controller can be used to sidechain different things, which might give a desired effect in that one thing will duck under another then come back in. Of course there are other methods of sidechaining, you can find some tutorials on the internet easily.

As for gating, you can automate the volume (or pretty much anything) of any individual instrument by simply right-clicking the knob you want to automate and then clicking "Create automation clip". One the clip is made you can pretty much do anything you want with it and create your own gates.

If, however, you think that might be too time consuming, FL Studio has some gate presets as well. Click Channel Presets > Automation Clips > Gates in the sidebar navigation and there will be a bunch of presets there. Simply drag these presets over your automation clip and voila.

I've never really explained stuff like this before but I hope this helps at least a little bit.

*EDIT - After checking out Glitch, perhaps I misinterpreted what you were asking, though I'm unsure. My apologies if so!

gates aren't necessarily a problem - anyone can use volume modulation to make an interesting pattern. something that makes it easier than manually clicking in simple patterns - like the FL delay 2 effect, for volume rather than delay - would be nice, but isn't really required at the moment.

the retriggers are the issue i'm having - i can't seem to find an effect that really properly simulates a retriggering effect live, without rendering out audio and chopping it up. i know it's possible, but it seems that nothing's out there that does that without a ton of overhead.

the retriggers are the issue i'm having - i can't seem to find an effect that really properly simulates a retriggering effect live, without rendering out audio and chopping it up. i know it's possible, but it seems that nothing's out there that does that without a ton of overhead.

I know you said you use dblue and it doesnt quite do what you want it to, but what exactly makes it unwieldy for retriggering?

Can't you just set it to contantly retrigger, then simply bypass dblue until you want the retriggering to happen? Or am I not following what you're wanting to do with the retriggering?

yeah, it's totally possible to use a large memory/cpu-intensive plugin that doesn't map MIDI properly in FL to do that, but it's memory/cpu-intensive, and it doesn't map MIDI properly in FL. it'd be nice to have something a little smaller that doesn't crash half the time to do that. it'd also be nice to be able to change the stutter or retrigger length in real time rather than having to set it beforehand.