Keyboard Inputs into Piano Roll?

Sooner or later (hopefully next week) I'm going to try and get a midi keyboard. I'm trying to find something good at my local music store but no such luck as of yet (Because the guy who specializes in it is never there <.<), I was wondering if this would be an effective way to push notes into the piano roll (well, I would hope at least..), but possibly even record the samples from the piano itself (through Edison, I think?) I'm only asking this because I will only have a USB cable, but from what I've been told that's really all you need now a days anyways. But then I hear some guy from the college music store tell me I need a 120 dollar cable, and then I don't know what to think. D:

I tried googling some quick questions, got some stuff off yahoo answers, but I still don't entirely get it. :/

A midi keyboard sends midi data to the computer. There aren't necessarily any samples, any sounds built into it. What it does is just send notes and cc data to the computer, and works pretty much as sequencing by mouse (except in real time). More advanced keyboards (then called synths) have sounds, and can send (and receive) midi.

What I use. 130USD, comes with a compatible usb cable, non-weighted keys (more organ than piano), midi only (no sound, just midi, so you need a computer to use it).

A quick search for "midi cable usb", for use with keyboards with traditional (old, pre-usb) midi ports reveals products that cost 30 bucks or less. Just avoid the really cheap ones, they're cheap for a reason.

That guy has no idea. :tomatoface:

So I would need hardware synths huh...

So I'm assuming this wouldn't count?

Which if that's the case.. I already have an old Yamaha keyboard I could just use as a controller for now. But I do want something that can save velocity on input later (and really, a better sample base overall <.<)... thank you though. I'll try for that cable.

So I would need hardware synths huh...

So I'm assuming this wouldn't count?

Which if that's the case.. I already have an old Yamaha keyboard I could just use as a controller for now. But I do want something that can save velocity on input later (and really, a better sample base overall <.<)... thank you though. I'll try for that cable.

STOP!

It's a simple brain exercise: Can it make sound on its own? Does it have usb or midi ports? These two questions answer what it is quite well.

If it can make sound on its own it's either a synth or a sampler, and probably a bit of both. The manual doesn't seem to say either way, just talks about "sounds". But... we now know it makes sound.

If it has midi or usb ports, you can connect it to a computer and record just the midi. The manual says it has a usb port.

Additionally, if it has any audio out ports, you can record the audio out of it, whether this be single notes or entire songs. The manual says it has.

Stop jumping to crazy conclusions. :P

midi controlers can't produce sound on their own but allow you to edit the properties of your work by simply using the functions on the controler itself. At home my dad has an Axiom 61 I use, and at school I use a casio keyboard. As long as it's usb compatible you can basically use it in a DAW and record in real time. Any other features you want will determine what you would use to record