*NO* Top Gear 'Losing the race, like every time'

OceansAndrew

-remixer name: neb yark

-name: Ben Kray

-email: benkray@gmail.com

-user id: 25218

Game arranged: Top Gear (1992 SNES)

song: "Top Gear Soundtrack - Bordeaux" (Track 3)

composer: Barry Lietch, Hiroyuki Masuno

I sent in a submission a couple years back that got rejected (looking back i know why haha) and this one, I feel, is a lot better. Honestly, I started this project to remix a song that would annoy people (mainly my friends) but once i made a few leads that fit, (the one you hear at the start), i got serious and started to take some time in refining everything and adding what needed to be added.

note: track 3 = Bordeaux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y2qH72qM2w

Aside from the opening riff from the source, I'm not hearing a strong connection to the Top Gear track. Maybe another judge can help me out there. Arrangement aside, I think the bass is being overpowered by the lead synths. I'm personally not feeling the cymbals throughout the mix, they feel like they turn into a big hiss throughout. A lot of the sequencing overall feels very mechanical as well, which is especially noticeable in the backing pads.

Some mixing touchups, but definitely needs more source.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

This basically sounds like a pretty cool original track inspired by the Top Gear 3 song, and the only the guitar part from the source is really recognizable, and it's been marginalized, and sounds like the original bad midi. Weird choice keeping that the same and sound upgrading the rest. There are a lot of cool progression choices hdre, and though the balance is a bit off, and the sequencing is definitely mechanical, I ejoyed this, but it needs a lot more source to pass.

No

gotta agree with my fellow J's, this is too liberal in regards to source usage. the main backing rhythm was present most of the mix, but melodically it sounded much more simply inspired by the original than an arrangement.

production-wise, the bass and drums both felt pretty reserved, and the synthwork was rather vanilla. gotta agree with OA on the GM-sounding guitar too; seemed like a weird choice leaving that the same, which felt out of place with the synth-ier textures.

NO