Song of Storms - Legend of Zelda OOT

At this point, learning to mix is the main thing you should be working on. I have a remixing guide in my sig - read it, especially the parts on mixing.

I'd say this sounds like a typical newb mix. It tries to stay interesting by changing instrumentation and not that much else. You've got some nice writing additions but are relying on the same rhythm throughout. Adapting it to 4/4 takes a bit of skill, dunno if you're using a 4/4 midi or if you adapted it yourself... or if you did it on purpose or not. :P

Mixing-wise, you've got some typical newb problems too - track levels and frequency distribution. Read up on how to mix on whatever google gives you, and try to apply it all where applicable. practice with EQ, but read up on how it works and what it does. Listen to stuff, both newby stuff and more pro stuff. This might sounds abstract, but try to hear how it's mixed. You can actually hear how it's mixed when you know what to listen for. For example, how loud is the hihat, and what frequencies are its most audible (play with an EQ to learn more about frequencies... and read stuff). Same with the bass, same with the lead, same with everything. Where in the frequency range is this instrument, and where "on stage" is it (up front, in the back, center/left/right/both sides...?)

I've certainly heard worse, so you're off to a good start here. Keep it up. :D

Hi Rozovian,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. At this point, "pretty good" and "I've heard worse" are compliments! I am very new at this, I just got FL Studio six weeks ago, and before that I haven't made any music at all. So I'm just discovering this for the first time, testing to see if I have any potential at all. I'm enjoying it so much and I'm soaking it all up like a sponge. I will check out the resources you mentioned, thank you.

As for the 4/4, there are many other remixes of this song out there, one in particular that I really liked, (and I prefer it in 4/4) so it wasn't hard to emulate what had already been done. I added my own touches. I know it sounds newbie, it does to me as well. :oops: But ya gotta start somewhere. I love Zelda songs so much, I will pick another one to remix next, and hopefully it will sound just a tiny bit less newbish. Thanks again!

The drums don't punch through enough, and the bass is a little bit too repetitive and not enough, though. Rozovian is right about the constant changing of instrumentation for variation. That said, though, compared to my newb mixes, this is a huge step up. You have a lot of potential, keep at it!

drums - agreed! Something I need to work on, gotta learn to eq properly. Drums were also repetitive.

bass repetitive - yup, got me. I liked the bassline but wasn't sure what else to do with it.

changing instruments for interest - busted!

It's a total newb mix. But hey I'm a total newb, haha! I am just glad I could put anything together and not have it suck terribly, as I really have done no music before. I am obsessed with it though, ordered two books today on mixing, and I've been reading Rozovian's excellent newbie guide. You will definitely see more from me, as my style develops.

THANK YOU for your kind words of encouragement and helpful comments!!!