symphonic rock (I think)

the first melody sounds a little odd. It places its emphasis on the 5th beat of the bar (if you agree that this is in 6/8 ). I'm not against an "odd" melody, particularly in a piece of this style but because none of the other parts seem to acknowledge this melody, playing on 1 and 4 constantly.

Timing seems to be an issue again, most of the parts could do with quantizing.

Seems like drums would fit this tune. They could also be used to emphasise that odd melody at the start.

When the guitar and trumpet lines are playing over the top of each other there are often clashing notes which don't necessary clash in the "right way". So i'd consider looking over them.

OH YEAH, how the instruments sound together... they sound alright. You have guitar/trumpet/organ and choir? I see you were going for this sort of feel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1CMCIJB7A - ish.

I don't know how accurate symphonic rock is of things that are actually considered symphonic rock so I don't really care if it's symphonic rock or not!

the first melody sounds a little odd. It places its emphasis on the 5th beat of the bar (if you agree that this is in 6/8 ). I'm not against an "odd" melody, particularly in a piece of this style but because none of the other parts seem to acknowledge this melody, playing on 1 and 4 constantly.

Timing seems to be an issue again, most of the parts could do with quantizing.

Seems like drums would fit this tune. They could also be used to emphasise that odd melody at the start.

When the guitar and trumpet lines are playing over the top of each other there are often clashing notes which don't necessary clash in the "right way". So i'd consider looking over them.

OH YEAH, how the instruments sound together... they sound alright. You have guitar/trumpet/organ and choir? I see you were going for this sort of feel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1CMCIJB7A - ish.

I don't know how accurate symphonic rock is of things that are actually considered symphonic rock so I don't really care if it's symphonic rock or not!

I actually have a version of this song without the guitar. I've been told constantly that it's better but I wanna make this lead work!

I actually have a version of this song without the guitar. I've been told constantly that it's better but I wanna make this lead work!

Being a massive fan of symphonic rock and metal + playing in a band that does that kind of music I, just had to check this thread out.

Don't force it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm not a master with mixing so I can't really comment on that but what I think is holding this back is composition, timing and tone. No offense, but if you used a real guitar for this......burn that thing. Plus that trumpet type thing you have going sounds terrible.

Currently, you don't really have any rhythm (drums needed badly) and the guitar melody has weak phrasing, feels dissonant and it's buried. Most of the time, in Symphonic Rock, the rock elements are up front and the orchestra is in the background. Unless it's leads on strings or piano. Then it's up front.

This has good potential IMO. If you add some double tracked rhythm guitars, drums and balance out the instrumentation well, and maybe try a new melody this could be very epic. Most of these bands use the minor scale, harmonic minor scale and phrygian dominant modes for their melodies and riffs.

Check out these bands. I consider many of them to be masters of symphonic rock/metal and a great source of inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPV8tc5Ec7c

- Def give this one a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMJXoEap3g

In most all of those links, The orchestral and synth elements are usually in the background and are sometimes few and barely audible at times. It's also common for the guitars to just stop in certain parts and the orchestra takes over, then when the guitars come back the orchestra quiets down. Like in that last link, I didn't even notice the piano at first in the chorus. In the third link, there is an arpeggiator in the intro. Listen close.

Hope it helps. Keep on rockin' Mickomoo

Being a massive fan of symphonic rock and metal + playing in a band that does that kind of music I, just had to check this thread out.

Don't force it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm not a master with mixing so I can't really comment on that but what I think is holding this back is composition, timing and tone. No offense, but if you used a real guitar for this......burn that thing. Plus that trumpet type thing you have going sounds terrible.

Currently, you don't really have any rhythm (drums needed badly) and the guitar melody has weak phrasing, feels dissonant and it's buried. Most of the time, in Symphonic Rock, the rock elements are up front and the orchestra is in the background. Unless it's leads on strings or piano. Then it's up front.

This has good potential IMO. If you add some double tracked rhythm guitars, drums and balance out the instrumentation well, and maybe try a new melody this could be very epic. Most of these bands use the minor scale, harmonic minor scale and phrygian dominant modes for their melodies and riffs.

Check out these bands. I consider many of them to be masters of symphonic rock/metal and a great source of inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPV8tc5Ec7c

- Def give this one a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMJXoEap3g

In most all of those links, The orchestral and synth elements are usually in the background and are sometimes few and barely audible at times. It's also common for the guitars to just stop in certain parts and the orchestra takes over, then when the guitars come back the orchestra quiets down. Like in that last link, I didn't even notice the piano at first in the chorus. In the third link, there is an arpeggiator in the intro. Listen close.

Hope it helps. Keep on rockin' Mickomoo

I don't know if I was going for symphonic rock I just wanted to take this paino piece I made and add an orchestra to it. The riffs I played on the piano only translated to one instrument in my mind, guitar... that said I guess I'm prone to calling it symphonic rock cus it has a guitar in it but I'm not extremely genre savvy. I do like dream theater though. And of course that one arrangement of one winged angel and hell march from the C&C games

I don't know if I was going for symphonic rock I just wanted to take this paino piece I made and add an orchestra to it. The riffs I played on the piano only translated to one instrument in my mind, guitar... that said I guess I'm prone to calling it symphonic rock cus it has a guitar in it but I'm not extremely genre savvy. I do like dream theater though. And of course that one arrangement of one winged angel and hell march from the C&C games

Epic

10chars

It really is better without the guitar (in my opinion), though the strings and trumpet make the sound crack

Oh and it'd be awesome if you put links to all your versions of this song in the first post :D, the person above me here is so mad for no reason

It really is better without the guitar (in my opinion), though the strings and trumpet make the sound crack

Oh and it'd be awesome if you put links to all your versions of this song in the first post :D, the person above me here is so mad for no reason

Yeah I've been thinking that it's just that I want something to play that melody lol. I was gonna see if I could re-record it and have a friend rewrite and play the guitar part

• 2 weeks later...