DragonAvenger

Contact Information:

Remixer Name: Dr. Deimos

Email: jordan491@live.com

User ID: 44353

Submission Information:

Game Remixed: Super Mario Bros.

Name Of Songs Remixed: Overworld Theme, Underworld Theme

Additional information: This remix was made in Ableton Live 8, and was inspired by my love for video games and my desire to remix anything and everything I can. I also wanted to continue my streak of video game remixes, with the other two being The Legend of Zelda theme and the Song of Storms. I plan to do more video game remixes in the future, and perhaps also release an album of only video game remixes.

-----------------------------------------

I'll admit that DnB isn't my most favoritest genre ever, but I've come to appreciate different aspects of it. I think you have a good energy for this, and you're taking it in a cool direction, but there's some stuff holding it back. Firstly, the arrangement on the themes themselves is pretty minimal, and without many changes to them overall, it's becoming pretty repetitive. There are good ideas in there, but you use them, and then autopilot them, rather than add new ideas and take out the old, change it up.

I think the crux for me is how looped the percussion is. For a DnB track, I want to (obviously) focus on said drums and bass. I can't say I'm really pulled in by the drums at all. Do more with them!

Along with that, the snare sound isn't really doing it for me at all. I'd look for something with a little more snap to it.

NO (resubmit)

not much to add; the bass writing and automation/processing was neat, but I gotta agree the drums were on autopilot, and the melodic sections were pretty much unaltered. nice transition into the underground theme btw.

my main issue here is the conservativeness of the arrangement- you've got a good foundation with the bassline, but you need to inject more original writing/interpretation on the sources; altering the melodies or song structure, adding more harmonies and countermelodies, etc.

NO(resub)

You did a great job with the overall production. Good balance and instruments, creative automation, very cool FX. Unfortunately, I don't think this went that extra mile outside of that. This song has a problem I don't have a name for but should, because I see it fairly often in subs: there's a sharp divide between the original material and source-based material. An arrangement needs to mix the two together more, or at least sound more cohesive. In addition, there's copy and paste and autopilot drums, as mentioned. A fun listen, but not quite there IMO.

NO (resubmit)