Remix title: "Toads in the Suite"

Remixer: Mazedude

Original Compositions: Ragnarok Canyon, Turbo Tunnel

Game: Battletoads

System: NES

Composer: David Wise

Year: 1993

Company: Rare / Tradewest

Description: "Well, as many of you know, I draw on all manner of inspiration, sources, and genres. And, oftentimes a remix will emerge in a stylistic homage, or tribute to such an artist. This here is another case of that, this time around honoring Michael Manring. For those of you who aren't familiar, he is an electric bass virtuoso, and a really groovy composer. He does things with solo electric bass way beyond what it's traditionally used for, including fun with chords, harmonics, and oodles of effects.

So, this here is a Battletoads remix in that same style, mixed with some jazz fusion and crunchy Mazedude goodness. The title is derived from a conversation I had in my college suite with bass player Chris Kuffner, who introduced me to Manring's music in the first place."

---

Mazedude

----------------------

- Ragnarok Canyon

- Turbo Tunnel

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely a quirky mix, with a seemingly obscured source, but after a few listens (and by a few, I mean a lot, for me at least v__v ), I picked it up, and found I was just being distracted by the constantly shifting soundscape. I am still pretty thrown off by the structure here, as it seems really out there, and I admit i'm not really a fan of the style, but the source is well adapted, if not a bit overly hidden, and the production is definitely on, so i'm cool giving this a yes.

Yes

as with most of Mazedude's recent stuff, I'm really diggin' it. crazy sound design. there are a lot of weird panning choices, with not much going on dead center, but I think it adds to the charm and gives the piece an interesting sense of space. although the Ragnarok Canyon bassline/progression struck me pretty quickly from the start, the source melodies are a little hard to place. but damn if this ain't a clever, nuanced arrangement, preserving the rhythms moreso than the actual note choices. ;)

weird stuff. I like it. :)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty easy pass, the bass holds on the sources for most of the song. Two things I dug in this song: 1) how weird the panning is, even though the song still sounds totally balanced, and 2) the stiffness, almost fakeness, of the bass and drums juxtaposed with the fluid organic instruments that chime in. That's pretty much what I love about Mazedude - he takes things that shouldn't work and makes them work.

YES