futuristic/unusual chords erratic drum beat and japanese dissonance

img.php?fid=1247

comedic/funness

don't confuse this with qualites of music such as

musical/prestigious

down-tempo/chill

dance-able music/steppy

Discuss.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were limiting this discussion to VGM and pop music.

Cuz you know, there are other types of music.

yes i know, but i wanted to limit it to videogame music in case there was an obscure genre ive never heard of that does not have these facets. i referenced pop music as an example that not all genres have 7 facets. for example, britney spears music has a facet of sexual arousal, as an actual feature of the music, when you hear her voice. im not sure if *most* videogame music has that quality, probably a couple of songs for a few people, but normally no. also im pretty sure ragtime does not have "japanese dissonance."

at first i actually wanted to say "music" but at the last minute changed it to "videogame music."

Hmm, you might have a point there.

But what is an example of music that doesn't have these facets?

Pop music, and ice cream truck music, some house music, some dance, electronica and techno, some forms of rock and roll, and classical.

Pop music, and ice cream truck music, some house music, some dance, electronica and techno, some forms of rock and roll, and classical.

All music has these facets. Pop music is usually happy or sad and ice cream truck music falls into the haunted category.

Rock and roll = pop music

Classical music contains all of these facets.

Electronica, techno, dance etc. all have happy or sad or energetic in them.

Let's try putting that in a sentence.

"I think your mix could do with some more Japanese Dissonance. Adding a few shamisens playing parallel tritones would really jazz things up."

or

"Good use of Japanese Dissonance, I think if Schönberg played koto it would basically sound like this."

...yeah, I got nothing.