*NO* Deus Ex: Human Revolution 'The Fall of Icarus'

DragonAvenger

"The Fall of Icarus"

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - Thuul

Your real name - Joachim Olsen

Your email address - joachim@liveview.no

Your website - N/A

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - 44794

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Icarus

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - Michael McCann

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. -

Slowed down Piano version if "Icarus", from the Human Revolution trailer. Made in Propellerheads Reason4

---------------------

Those left hand arpeggios really start to feel repetitive fast. :-(

The piano sound is nice, the source is pretty, the subtle sound effects add a mysterious touch and some backing soundscape, and all that I can think about is those pounding arpeggio patterns. :-(

Overall I think this is really nice, but I strongly believe that at least part of the left hand writing needs to be mixed up a bit rhythmwise. I may be the complete minority here, but I gotta go with my gut on this.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

I thought the track was beautiful, but definitely repetitive, which is compounded a little by it's length imo. the whole thing was feeling pretty auto-pilot by the end, but I do really like the arrangement ideas. condensing it a bit or adding more variation in the rhythms would get my vote.

NO(resub)

• 2 months later...

First I want to say that I like your approach here. It's a very moody track that uses subtlety in writing well.

Gonna echo Halc & OA that the left hand gets pretty repetative. In the first section it was also sounding pretty rigid with the same repeated velocities. I'd recommend some velocity variation in addition to some writing changes previously advised.

One other note: you've got what sounds like 2 right hand parts starting at 3:25, which I'm not sure was intentional. This caused what sounded like some clashing notes in places like 4:12. Anyway, it could be chalked up to arrangement decision.

EDIT: Just a suggestion that came to mind on the ending. Strictly my opinion, but I would've liked to hear some supporting element (pads or atmospheric stuff) behind the fading piano part to help finish the mood at the end.

So yeah, you know what to do. Focus on that left hand writing and get this back to us :)

No, resubmit please

Justin covered the issues with the left-hand playing perfectly. It's a big enough problem that it's a dealbreaker. Even though this is not strictly solo piano, it still needed more dynamic variety somewhere. I liked the mood, the subtle backing instrumentation and effects, the approach of the arrangement. All of that is a good start.

NO (resubmit)