Frozen Synapse: turn-based tactical multiplayer game

Arcana

Anyone playing this?

http://www.frozensynapse.com/

It's a turn-based tactical game, very strategic. It's like playing chess because you assign moves to your guys, the opponent assigns movements to his guys, and then the game "executes" their actions and then resolves the situation. So it's in "simulated real time" so to speak.

It's quite like playing a slower, more strategic version of X-Com combat.

It's also Multiplayer. I bought it on Steam, so if you're interested let me know. The in-game system hooks up to its IRC channel and the people there are really nice too, so it's very easy to find games and then to chat about them after.

A few things I really like:

- The amount of determinism the game has. Very little is left to chance, it is up to you and your opponent's moves.

- The art style is minimalistic but appropriate.

- It's awesome watching strategies play out. Or fail. Also it's nervewracking once you've submitted your own moves and watch the situation resolve.

One thing that's cool about the game is that you can pretty much play games in parallel since the "Moves Planning" phase takes a while. In fact if you were so inclined you could even play virtually offline - you can check your pending games, submit moves, and then wait for your opponent whenever he does it.

Anyway... I recommend checking it out especially if you're a tactics buff. The game seems rather hardcore but it's actually pretty easy to play.

it costs $25 for two copies of the game (basically you're supposed to give the game to a friend). If you get the soundtrack (it has a pretty awesome electronica soundtrack) it's $30.

http://www.frozensynapse.com/ It's on Steam let me know if you're playing! My steam name is Arcana.

The game is extremely awesome -- please add me on Steam and play games!

Added. I should get myself onto the OCR group there. I haven't really done a lot of Steam gaming lately but it's a good time to start up, eh?

Now that I think about it, the fact that the graphics are rather abstract in Frozen Synapse might actually lend more toward it being a "friendly affair" that is less personal than let's say, fragging noobs in Halo. You don't get as much of this huge "oh my god" elitism that's based on skill, especially since a lot about Frozen Synapse is luck as well as skill (luck with respect to predicting correctly your opponent's actions). I was doing well in my first MP match ever (Rank 1 vs Rank 11) and got him down to 2v1, but then I made a critical mistake and thought that he would move left rather than right and didn't "think like my opponent" so to speak. I then got my guy killed and then I was shot through the far window and lost. In some respects you can't tell if you're playing "against a pro" until after all of your guys are dead and you think back on the match.