A Trailer Minute (Orchestral)

SJM

Using Sonatina Symphony Orchestra (free), that 3gb soundfonts collection from the Newgrounds forums (free) and Garritan Pocket Orchestra (5€) I created this piece some weeks ago but didn't really like it - now after some more work on it, I wanted to share it to recieve some criticism.

SJM\Soundcloud - A Trailer Minute

Don't be afraid to place your instruments across the stereo field, that will help give your instruments a sense of spatial depth that will be invaluable to breathing life into your sequence.

Check out some orchestra diagrams and think about the space the musician occupies and how each instrument group has its own space in the stereo field that is unique and singular to that group.

http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/~ahugill/manual/overhead.gif

Try to make the individual instruments more distinct. During the latter half of the piece it starts to sound a little muddy especially with the low brass. (Panning will help clean the sound up, and also, EQ everything).

Also, experiment with dynamics and humanising. Everything sounds too perfect and sequenced right now.

Very nice samples for the zero budget however!!

Don't be afraid to place your instruments across the stereo field, that will help give your instruments a sense of spatial depth that will be invaluable to breathing life into your sequence./quote]

That was my only complaint, really. Other than that, I think its pretty good. Keep it comin!

Thanks for your feedback.

As I understand it, I will have to take care to seperate instruments more - in the stereo range and in the frequency range. Is that right? I just fear it might let everything sound too dry and too far apart - but I guess I'll have to experiment with that :D

Unfortunately/Fortunately, the closer we get to the real sound of an orchestra with our samples/mix, the more apparent our writing deficiencies become as would be revealed in an actual live-orch situation.

We just have to embrace that as an opportunity to learn and grow and really develop our writing chops.