OCR02418 - *YES* Retro City Rampage 'Ignition'

Nutritious

Nutritious, OA (Overwhelming Awesomeness)

Justin Medford, Andrew Luers

Retro City Rampage (PC)

Ignition

Main Theme

OST by Jake "Virt" Kaufman

Source:

This remix was created for the Retro City Rampage Remix Competition over at SoundCloud. It ended up placing third there.

I initially wrote off entering this competition simply due to how complex and crazy good the original track is. I decided to take a second look, however, and had the idea to create a high energy movie score/rock song in the vein of the Ironman soundtrack. Fortunately, I was able to secure the guitar work of OA pretty early on, who, like myself, is a very busy family man.

So, as mentioned before, the OST is extremely complex and, at times, chaotic with all the chip soloing (props to Virt there). I ended up focusing mostly on the non-solo portions of the original track, but also asked OA to lend some shredding on top of the chord structure. His contribution really brought the energy needed for this type of track.

One note: 2:22 - 2:44 utilizes the lead synth from the original track, as the stems were made available for the competition. This is the only sampled portion from the original. I can provide source breakdown if necessary.

Justin

good lord, I couldn't remix Virt to save my life. suffice to say, you guys took it on like a couple of champs. the mesh of synths and guitar is smooth as butter, and the sampled solo sounds awesome in the context of the mix. on that note, I didn't have any issue with the sampling, as it was pretty minimal, and given a bit of a mixing boost. felt very appropriate. :D

killer collab, killer mix. excellent work, guys. :nicework:

YES

• 1 month later...

I think I will always be impressed with Justin's ability to make synth brass work, and really work well. Love how you used the brass to add a lot of energy to the track, and overall the flow between the orchestral instruments and rock instruments is very smooth. Aibou guitars sound great (but I might be a tad biased); the style and energy fit the context very well.

High energy, high awesome.

YES

• 3 months later...

No wonder this has been languishing on the panel. Half the working panel made this.

20 seconds of sampling is a fair amount but I'll leave it to Dave or Larry to override if this is an issue. I think it falls below the level of substantial usage and I think it was used creatively, not just tacked on as an intro or anything. Not much to say here: you guys both brought your A-game to this and the result is creative and highly enjoyable.

YES

Holy crap, this has a really grand, driving sound to it. I really like that synth bass in the intro as well as the punchy plucked bass later on, as well as the tasteful guitar/interplay that I've come to expect from OA/Nutri collabs :-) Insane solos.

At 1:32 I started to get the feeling that the song was just getting overcrowded, there was too much going on and I couldn't find a place to focus. The synth leads in general were too quiet while they were soloing - it's probably tough to find any room at all for them with all of that insane guitar/orchestral madness going on, but still... the synth leads could stand to be brought up a bit.

Honestly though, that's about the only fault I can find with this mix. It's a really killer mix with some amazing performances and writing that's clearly over the bar. Good work dudes, glad to see you working together again :-D

YES