*NO* Street Fighter Alpha 3 'The Road to Rave'

OceansAndrew

The intro seemed to run too long, with just a solid beat and SFX, and then piecing together the theme one bit at a time. Definitely a viable way to build a club track, but it makes hearing the source really hard. Once the song gets going, it's apparent the source is there, but it's pretty similar to the original. There is a different beat, and the synths are all different, but arrangement wise it is a little too close for me to pass.

No

Pretty generic electronica beatwork to open things up. Dynamically, there wasn't much going on here. Besides the occasional dropoff, it was this groove for more than 5 and a half minutes. The synth & effect choices were also pretty cookie-cutter.

The melody kicked in at 1:24, but the texture was too sparse, and the lead had no body or presence. The mixing would definitely need to be adjusted to make the lead more upfront. For example, the effect thrown in at 2:04 just comes in so loud and over the top compared to everything else, you'd think a spammy pop-up ad showed up in my browser while I was in the middle of listening to the song. :lol: It's just like "Where the hell did that come from?"

Agreed with OA that the way the melody was handled wasn't very interpretive. The attempt here to personalize it was there, clearly, but this should be more interpretive and creative with it. 3:15's section obviously used the theme in an even more straightforward way before repeating the same gated use of the melody.

In short, this isn't the worst thing I've heard, Lee-Roy, but it's nowhere near the level of where it needs to be to get approved. The arrangement of the source tune needs to be more thorough, the textures need to be better fleshed out and balanced, the beats need to be more varied, and the overall composition needs to be more dynamic.

NO

Andrew and Larry summed things up real well, so I won't beat a dead horse by rehashing them.

A couple other things to consider:

As in your face as the beat is here, some of the synths really felt like they should have more impact. The plucked synth line at 1:27 and the synth at 2:00 feel relegated too much to the back of things for carrying the melodic parts of the song.

Also, the lead at 3:17 and used later has a pretty heavy mid & low/mid tone, which is taking up a lot of room in the soundscape. I'd cut some of the freqs in the 500ish hz range and brighten it up a bit. That way it'll cut through instead of muddying up the mids.

You've clearly got some production chops, so I expect to hear some good stuff from you in the future :)

No