Dreamwave (Chrono Cross - Dream Of The Shore Near Another World)

• 5 months later...

Hey there.

Okay listenng...

First impression: I think maybe your initial drum might be a little too loud, as in louder than necessary to make your point. It's all I hear really.

Then you introduce your kit, nice snare, I like... However I think the drum writing is kind of bland... I think some breakbeat could really help... It's too plain and doesn't drive the song, in fact I think it kind of holds the rest of the song back.

You have some very weird synth choices, but I like them, you layer them nicely (later on mostly)... So that's a personal opinion...

Okay so the beat drops out, and the song cools down... Nice... However I think a better way to reinstate the rhythm isn't w/ the drums, but perhaps some synth gates, get some counter-rhythm in there, maybe drive the beat w/ another bass 8th notes building back up... Then you can bring the beat back...

And again, the beat is kind of bland in comparison... Get creative w/ it, make it battle out w/ your bass writing.

As for the song writing itself, things start getting really interesting towards the end... and then... what? Fade out :(. I honestly don't feel like the song should have ended there... The song seems ready for more, it was just starting to feel really fun and things were coming together. You shouldn't end a song when things finally start to gel! Hell, do a key change, repeat the part, add a solo, anything (or all of the above)... It wasn't ready to be done!

Anyway, hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Monobrow gave you some great starter tips while I was being held by criminals in the congo and I had to fight them off one by one to escape (read: busy for the last few months). So take what she gave you and work with it! Overall this mix suffers from its stocky-sounding synths and a lack of melody throughout. It feels very empty. Work that melody line and beef out the samples!