One sides guitars

Less boring? Maybe. Thinner? Definitely.

The reason for double taking each guitar track and panning them left and right is to give it a richer, fuller sound. I you only do one take and pan it one direction it may intrigue the listener for a moment, but will mainly just make the guitar sound wimpy.

There are times where this can be a cool effect, but it shouldn't be used as a primary setup. If you're looking for a break in a song it can sound pretty cool to drop out one side momentarily and then pick it back up.

It may end up sounding a bit better if you did 4 takes and panned one set hard left and right, then the other set around 33-40% left/right and messed around with cutting the hard pans out here and there, then you'd still have a pretty full sound but with the same effect you're going for.

I'm still inclined to think that it's not a good idea to make this your regular approach.

Less boring? Maybe. Thinner? Definitely.

The reason for double taking each guitar track and panning them left and right is to give it a richer, fuller sound. I you only do one take and pan it one direction it may intrigue the listener for a moment, but will mainly just make the guitar sound wimpy.

There are times where this can be a cool effect, but it shouldn't be used as a primary setup. If you're looking for a break in a song it can sound pretty cool to drop out one side momentarily and then pick it back up.

It may end up sounding a bit better if you did 4 takes and panned one set hard left and right, then the other set around 33-40% left/right and messed around with cutting the hard pans out here and there, then you'd still have a pretty full sound but with the same effect you're going for.

I'm still inclined to think that it's not a good idea to make this your regular approach.

I know all that, heres what I mean, which you were getting closer to. (btw my guitar has not mids wtf *fills in with random pad*:P)

I was aiming for an older way of doing rhythem guitar like val halen tracks or like this (some crush 40/hardline traks)

like mutes on one side and non mutes on the other alternating position(but non of the tracks hard panned all the way(depending if I like what im hearing)), or one of them on both sides for the common double tracking for a section like a solo or chorus.

Unless you double track each element (muting or not muting) it'll just end up sounding like 2 wimpy guitars.

There are probably some genre's that don't double take guitars, but based on the link you provided, that genre does. You usually want the guitars to sound pretty big.

With 4 takes, 2 for each element, one panned hard right or left for each and one panned a little under halfway, you can reduce the volume of the takes that are near the middle of the mix and still have a decent sound.

Just remember that most of what makes the hard panned double takes sound so big is that you have 2 different (sound) yet identical (performance) sounds coming at you from 2 different directions - the left and the right. When one of those two takes are not identical it just makes the track sound like two guitarists that don't know which part to play.

You can get away with it live because it's usually mixed in mono and not stereo, but for stereo recordings it's almost always better to double take all guitars.

Unless you double track each element (muting or not muting) it'll just end up sounding like 2 wimpy guitars.

There are probably some genre's that don't double take guitars, but based on the link you provided, that genre does. You usually want the guitars to sound pretty big.

With 4 takes, 2 for each element, one panned hard right or left for each and one panned a little under halfway, you can reduce the volume of the takes that are near the middle of the mix and still have a decent sound.

Just remember that most of what makes the hard panned double takes sound so big is that you have 2 different (sound) yet identical (performance) sounds coming at you from 2 different directions - the left and the right. When one of those two takes are not identical it just makes the track sound like two guitarists that don't know which part to play.

You can get away with it live because it's usually mixed in mono and not stereo, but for stereo recordings it's almost always better to double take all guitars.

Ahh 4 guitar tracks, I used to do that till cpu with guitar sims got hectic even when I resample, I admit I am in need of a new computer. Maybe when I get a new amp I can do four takes again and it will be easier to change mic positions. I also heard that Overlouds TH1 has multiple miking options, not sure :P

Thanks man, you got me out of trouble XD!

I've been working with mixing distortion guitar tracks for more than 5 years. I've created tons of rock music and tested and experimented with every combination I can think of of mixing rock tracks.

One of the best tracks I've ever created sound wise with guitar was a track in where I had one heavy guitar panned center. It was a slower power-track heavy metalish type of thing. You can just put one guitar track in, you don't necessarily need 3. You can use Stereo Imaging also.

What makes a track most like the one you sent will always be song writing. Look up the Prince of Tennis soundtrack and you'll find songs that use no guitar but have the same feeling/emotion you're looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTAstsWXx0

I think that trying out anything mixing wise would work well. Test out and create your own way of doing things and never say the phrase "have to" in art....ever...