Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand(The Dreamer Departs)

Cheers guys. Really appreciate the feedback. I know that my percussion is terrible, a big weakness for me. I think it'll be a while before I post an update as I'm learning and working on improving my drum writing, especially the sequencing.

Until I get the beat sorted, I'll never be able to realise this mixes full potential.

Thanks for spending the time to listen. I agree with all you say. I listen to OC remixes and I can really hear how this falls short. I just need to work on how to remedy that. I'll make sure the next update of it blows your socks off :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been busy with work and what not, but if honest, its been driving me insane. To divert my mind and try to relax I decided to revisit this remix.

After much frustration with the percussion and previous version of the mix I decided to have a go at re-working the instrumentation to add some freshness and clear up the soundscape.

As can be heard, I haven't converted the entire Remix yet, but I was hoping to get some feedback to see if anyone agreed on it going down a better road than before.

V2: *Link removed

Edit: Forgot to mention that this also is in the original version's key

Edit 2: Updated Wip

So after a complete overhaul, I present a new (and improved version) of this remix.

The instrumentation has changed. Some parts have been cut from the arrangement and the biggest thing is the percussion.

I spent a long time agonizing how to improve the percussion as it was the biggest weakness of the remix. It was key in taking it to the next level. I think there may be some tweaking still to be done, but thats why I'm posting it here.

The production has been a key focus with this version. I've tried to keep things as clean and clear as possible. I think I have sacrificed a little bit on the feeling/atmosphere for it but hey....enough of my babbling.

The Dreamer Departs, version 2: removed link

Nice changes, the arpeggios in the beginning are great additions. Still, the introduction feels a bit empty, maybe bring the pad up a bit OR introduce some strings in the background. Did you add reverb to the bass? If so, just lower it a bit (I love the bass from your previous wip).

Your piano lead at 1:25 is once again on right ear :)

Loving the awesome banjo like instrument at 1:46. This is your original piece right? I like it so much that I'll probably use it if I ever mix this source :D (Once again, the background feels a bit empty, I think addition of (synth) strings in overall song can greatly improve things)

Orch Hits at 2:33 have some timing issues.

One more thing, I think you can re-use arpeggio at 0:19 in more areas of the song, I think it'll sound cool and fill those empty gaps. Hate myself for this but I am not 100% sure that it will get through the panel in its current form. I know how hard you have worked on this mix.

Final suggestion (since you have spent a lot of time on this mix), fix the minor issues above and just sub the mix. It'll either get through hopefully, but if not, you'll find out exactly what needs to be fixed :)

Best of luck!

Cheers so much for the feedback dude, I appreciate it so so much!

Yeah, I have to agree about the bass......there are a few things I loved from the previous version. Theres no reverb on the bass, but I've got two sort of bouncing off each other. One on-beat, the other off which is creating that sorta sound.

Yeah, 1:46 is my own writing and I would love it if you did use it :)!!

I like what you've said about filling out the background, but its just my last WIP was heavily critisized (and rightly) for being muddy. Perhaps I need to work on my mixing, but I often found that by removing some of the pads it cleaned things up a bit as there was just too much.

I'll give all you suggested a go and see what happens :)

The reason your previous wip sounded muddy was because your background stuff mostly were in the same frequency levels. What I'm suggesting here is a string (or synth string) from next octave playing either harmonized chords OR some sort of pattern to fill the gap. The arpeggio in the intro will not make the track muddy at all in the empty areas.

Like I said before, just give it one last fix and submit it to the panel. Otherwise, the complains will never end :) Might as well get it straight from the panels and fix those only.

All the best, this track has tons of potential and hopefully will get through in the first pass! :D

Or, add some pads, sidechain, wateva wa wa waka waka hey hey yo mama yay \@/ :mrgreen:

Well, it's a lot cleaner, and I always liked this version better. By the way, dawg, I see that you like to add several extra changes to da mix after some received feedback. Now, if it's possible, can I have an improved version with the suggested changes only? I'd just like to see how it turns out ;)

Indeed you are correct mystix. I'm just being very cautious haha

And yeah, Guifrog, I did think about sidechaining......I have some bad news though Guifrog. Whilst I was waiting for a reply there were some things that were bugging me........so there are other changes too....sorry :? They are only very very minor though, just balancing blah blah :)

I should really be getting to bed, but I'm in the zone........but I'll post an update probably tomorrow morning....or later this morning as its 1am here haha

As you can tell I've spent so much time on this I just want to get it done, but I want to do it justice.

Okay, so this is it. This is the version that will be going to the judges.....I'm not expecting anything but if honest I'll be happy to receive their feedback on it.

In honesty, I only really changed what was suggested. To make it easier, here are the changes:

Pad added to introduction

filtering automation added to bdrum at 00:16

piano panning altered at 1:25

piano-synth tones added at 1:50 to fill space

filtered arp motif from beginning added at 2:20 until 3:29

Brass timing tightened along with increase in dynamic at 2:34

Bdrum/snare fill added at 2:53

Bass brought up at 2:55 as it was getting lost before

Strings added at 3:29

Enjoy: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37821115/The%20Dreamer%20Departs.mp3

I've encoded it at 192kbps, so it corresponds with the submission guidelines.