The Most Dangerous Game (Metroid Fusion - Sector 2)

Having played metroid fusion (a lot), there was always one section that gave me trouble, the time in sector 2 where you have to run past the SA-X. Never could get past that without cheats. Remembering that, it gave me some inspiration for a remix. I tried to make a really dark version of the sector 2 theme. Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

img.php?fid=1283

I love Metroid Fusion a ton; this isn't one of the source tracks I remember too well, though.

You have a good mood set from the start, but that constant chime gets irritating by the time you're half way through the song. Try using it more sparsely. Also, the flutey lead that starts around :25 is really lo-fi... I don't know if you were going for that, but the rest of the parts sound deeper and more high quality, so experiment with different sounds for that.

The biggest issue I have with this is it just drones on and on without a ton of evolution. Similarly to the original, this would serve well as BGM for something in-game, but as a standalone piece, it needs to be fleshed out more and made more interesting.

Good luck with this!

The incessant chime thing is detuned a bit too far, sounds terrible. :P Most of the instrumentation is passable but could use some additional processing to add complexity and "phat"... and there's a few instruments that really stand out as cheap - the choir's high notes really exposing the sample.

There's also way too much bass, leading to compression problems. The writing is minimalistic in that it's really a simple lead on top of a repetitive backing. Dunno what you're trying to do with it, but it doesn't seem to be heading in ocr's direction. I don't remember the source, but this sounds conservative and more appropriate in the game than on here. As Tuney already brought up, it doesn't work that well as a standalone track.

Nice to see Fusion get some attention, but if you want it on ocr you gotta figure out how to use the source in a way that works for a standalone track. Keep at it. :)