Chrono Cross

Time's Scar

Composer(s) :

Elemental Master: Toshiharu Yamanishi

Eternal Champions: Joe Delia

Chrono Cross: Yasunori Mitsuda

System : Sega Genesis and Chrono Cross on PlayStation

Original Sources:

Elemental Master - Stage 1 (00:00 - 01:08 )

Elemental Master - Intro (01:09 - 01:31)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSo2HXObDg&feature=player_detailpage#t=16s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLSo2HXObDg&feature=player_detailpage#t=42s

Elemental Master - Stage 2 (01:32 - 01:46)

Eternal Champions - Intro: (01:47 - 2:17)

Chrono Cross - Intro: (2:19 onwards)

Comments:

I know... wth right? please bear with me. I initially wanted to do a remix for "Elemental Master". Despite of having one of the best sound track of it's time, I could not find different tunes from the game to merge together so I had to a look elsewhere. It's primarily Stage 1 remix but then what's an "Elemental Master" remix without the awesome intro music? After that, I decided to extend it with Eternal Champions title theme which I thought would fit in perfectly. But I needed a very powerful ending to make the mix memorable for the listener because I know not many people are familiar with Elemental Master (and to some extent Eternal Champions as well). Although I would totally agree with the argument that Time's Scar deserves standalone mix but once again, I believed it would make my mix's ending perfect.

So that's how I ended up with these sources. As for the style, you probably know by now that I love to experiment with different genres; so it's basically 80's Rock met 90's Hiphop and they hanged out with today's RnB. I hope I made it unusual enough to sound fresh............ and likable.

If you accept this mix, I request you accept it for Elemental Master. That game deserves more attention because it was not only a great game but has an amazing soundtrack. Chrono Cross needs no introduction and OCR already has some Eternal Champions mix. Anyway, I'll leave it up to you guys to decide on that.

ok, yeah, I definitely facepalmed when I saw all the sources. However, this is actually pretty good. The lead guitar is definitely fakey, but it feels charming to me rather than annoying, maybe because of the rest of the track being synthetic as well. The solo was tastefully sequenced and the arrangement of each section was minimal, but there was a lot of personal flair, and solid flow between themes.

Really enjoyed this, very nice arrangement that easily overcomes the guitar lead sound.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...
I just realized that I forgot to put the bassline in the ending of the track I subbed. I know the mix might have already been judged and the part missing wasn't really making a big impact in the crowded ending piece but it will kill me if the track gets No'ed because of that. So here's the link to the fixed one:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/OCR/ElementalMaster_FlamingHearts.mp3

I hope it doesn't cause any inconvenience and I'm sorry if it does but please have a listen one more time before passing final judgement.

Email! :):D

• 3 months later...

Overall your flow between multiple sources is very good, and it's very hard to tell this is a medley at all. I feel like your arrangement of each source overall can be a bit conservative at times, and hope that you'll branch out further into the arrangement territory more in the future. Overall this one is still over the bar, and a welcome addition, IMO.

YES

This definitely has some of the same issues that I've noticed with all of DJ Mystix's subs, but fortunately it comes with all of the same strengths that make his other mixes so endearing. First off, the arrangement is, as always, fantastic. He's got a knack for taking some average-quality samples and using some really advanced articulations and writing to make it work. Since this has already been voted on thrice, I'm going to trust my fellow judge's assessment of the source usage. Even if it IS coverish, there's still a lot of personalization going on with the solo sections and the overall mixing of a huge number of sources.

A few nitpicks: I think the kick sound you're using is a little overbearingly boomy, and sometimes it starts to impede on the low end of the rest of the mix. Some EQ cuts would probably be able to take care of that. The distortion rhythm guitar, on the other hand, when it's playing feels like it's too cramped and just ends up not really jiving with the rest of the soundscape.

Keep at it, you're putting out some consistently solid medleys that feel extremely seamless. With time you'll get a better hang of how to get the most out of your sounds and possibly acquire some new, better ones, but until then you're still above the bar. Good work dude :-)

YES