*NO* Heroes of Might and Magic 2 'Fallen Hero'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I'd love to be able to judge this with the original in tow, I'm coming up empty. I did listen to Orkybash's take on the source material in the attempt to at least get a feel for another interpretation on it.

In any case, this seemed to have potential. Certainly was an interesting beat-oriented track, and I was feelin' the groove for the most part. Some decent breaks were in there, but once it found its pattern it didn't deviate much.

The production was very muffled and distant, so bring up the clarity in there with some sharper-sounding EQing; the higher frequency range was completely absent.

I liked when the piano arrived at 2:05. Pretty straightforward stuff that could have used a bit more activity in there. I liked what I heard so far here, but it was a pretty simplistic, groove-based offering with little on the way of significant compositional variation, so in that sense you could tell that there was a limited amount of interpretation of the source material. The track cut out abruptly at 3:57; for shame, bro.

Catchy little thing there, and I'm keeping it to feed my groove bias, but it needs more depth and creativity. Keep improving yourself by exploring the ReMixing forum for program, sample & production advice, and use the WIP forum for more feedback before you submit future material. Nothing great, but certainly not bad, Tyler.

NO

Too much beat, not enough meat.

take away the completely irritating drums, and there's almost nothing there. The string parts are completely repetitive. There's really no subtlety to this mix. The last minute was the most listenable part of the song, but it's really no different from the rest of the song, it just doesnt have drums in it.

lazy arrangement.

NO

As has already been said, there’s not enough substance behind the drums, which by themselves are not strong enough to carry this mix. There are some cool breaks but they are simply pasted on top of the same pad chord progression that we get throughout the song. Try chopping some of the melodic elements with the drum breaks or finding some other way for the instruments to interact with the drums, especially during sections like 1:05-1:34. Very cool stuff can happen if you work at it. The transition at 1:03 sounds awkward and almost like we’re going to get a tempo change. I’d work on lining that up a little better, but that one might just be me.

Definitely muffled throughout. A global decrease of the lower frequencies and a bump to the highs would help. If you’re still looking for that drum punch, go for individual low EQ on the kick.

This is enjoyable in many ways but production problems and lack of substance beyond the drums leaves this at NO status for now. Keep working at it Tyler.

These loopy/phased sounding drums don't sound at all good. Beyond that there's way too much reverb on everything. The whole mix sounds drenched with no clarity. That's fine for other genres, but in this context it just comes off quite messy.

Compositionally it's ok. I think better use of dynamics and a human element could push this mix higher, but as is, everything just sounds so rigid.

Work more on the composition, concept and put meat on the bones as has been suggested. Decent work, but needs more at this point.

NO