Ryu's Theme (orchestral)

ole jason

http://soundcloud.com/thekraken/ryu-theme

I take a bit of a simplified approach to doing arrangements of the SF tunes. I try to leave the basic form and melody true to the source material but stretch out harmonically with the rhythms and accompaniment. I'm not opposed to straying further from the source material but my goal with this is the ability to drop it into the game and have it still work within the context of a fight.

While I like the big oppressive (:-D) reverb typical of this genre I think a lot of my work in the spicatto strings is getting obscured by the weight of everything else. I'm going to work with the panning and EQ to make a little more space for everything.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For the mixing side - you definetly need to eq and level fix that whole deep mid - bass side of things. As they fight a major clash against each other (those big taiko drums against basses/cellos - the brass side is okay I think) and as a troup unit against your limiter which just compresses everything to fucking death.

So personally I would pull down all levels to avoid stressing the limiter. Get the deep mids out of the drums, leave the low end for push and some accent eq on the "stick sound" for drum feel. Get it a little more to the left more reverb / er to get them into the background.

The basses/cellos sound like they are from LASS - am I right ? I always find they tend to stick out as you can hear the bow accent a little too much and in general have a more chamber string feel and the art script isn't that "time" proof when working with fast staccato lines that have to fit tight drums. So it sounds a little bit loose there.

For the rest I can't really judge as the said problems with you compression/limiter hide overshadow the rest but the direction it is going seems right.

The mix is killing this piece. I can't hear anything, just reverb cranked to 200%, and super boomy drums that drown out everything. Also, I feel like I'm hearing some phase plugins running or something weird with the panning. I have on nice headphones, and my ears are irritated with the EQ.

Get your mix to a listenable version, then the critique on writing can begin.

Take off ALL the reverb, then notch it up slowly on your master channel. Everything should sound very clear, yet with hints of a hall reverb. (hard to actually say).

If you have phaser / flange, or any kind of stereo width plugins running, take it off, and use PANNING ONLY for placement.

Also, you should NOT be compressing orchestra music like it's a pop song on the radio. Compression should be carefully applied, and minimal at most.

Good luck.