*NO* Mega Man X3 & X2 'Beef VS. Chicken

OceansAndrew

sources:

MMX3 Blizzard Buffalo:

MMX2 Overdrive Ostrich:

"Beef vs. Chicken"

My best track in last year's GMRB according to some... and my opponent chickened out. :P Made in four days or so before I left for a festival. The week after that, my computer hard drive broke. I lost about half a week's worth of music, lots of project wips and other cool stuff - a monumental inconvenience but not a disaster. Lemme take this opportunity to warn ppl that this can happen TO YOU, and that you should take backups of your important stuff. Often. Especially if you're on album projects.

PS. It's not part of the MMX series album, so it'd be nice if it was posted before the album comes out... so it doesn't get buried in a flood of other mmx tracks and is assumed to be on the album along with all the other mixes of this source.

-rozo (#21613)

Great sources. I rag on remixes that use more than one source very often because people tend to make medleys without a thought to an overall progression. The arrangement of this tune however, is quite well done. Rather seamless.

Now the bad: First, the mix is really kind of harsh overall. Needs some more low end lovin'. The other thing that is really bugging me is the beat. It never changes, and it's so far out front that it gets rather irritating. The other problem with the arrangement is that there isn't a lot of variety of instrumentation throughout, so it pretty much sounds like a long noodly jam.

Not bad, but not there yet.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Overall I feel the arrangement is very strong, but Jesse brings up some good points - The drum sound is pretty cool and very catchy, but the beat needs more variation, maybe with some fills and cymbal crashes here and there. :-)

A little more volume on the bass would be an improvement too, and maybe a touch of stero delay on the lead.

Overall really close, it just needs some minor tweaks, and a more varied beat.

No, please resubmit

For the first minute, I was totally feeling it. I don't disagree with anyone saying the steady beat lasted too long, and that was the main drawback. For about a minute, I was firmly in the camp of "this isn't dragging out, c'mon," because the beat sounds good. But aside from some dropoffs here and there, this simple beat indeed dragged on WAAAAY too long.

The arrangement works nicely besides that, and while you should keep Vig's production crits in mind as well, I wasn't bothered by those issues. In other words, if the beats weren't so repetitive, the other crits wouldn't add up to a NO.

The lack of instrumental changes Vig also pointed out would be downplayed by the subtle dynamic contrast that would be added by the beats changing up. So just get the beats off this bland auto-pilot they're on and you should be good.

NO (refine/resubmit)