*NO* Gradius 'Haunted Hydroponics'

djpretzel

Remixer: TO

Game: Gradius

Song: grlev1.mid (That's what the midi was named, I dunno where it's from in the game.)

ReMix URL:

Original Midi: http://www.doulifee.com/prc/grlev1.mid

Hey guys,

I made this in a 2 hour competition between myself, Nuts, Suzu, Sadorf and Hadyn. I thought it sounded good enough to submit, so I tidied it up and here it is.

I thought it sounded kind of slow and creepy so I kept with my run of Haunted pieces, the tempo is set at a rather lazy 85 bpm. I used rhodes, christmas layers (bells), strings, a Vivid Vibrato Synth, RMX beats (editted quite a bit of course.) A sample of Betruger laughing (I thought it fit in) and a metallic cry from Doom 3.

Enjoy,

~TO

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/gradius1.zip - NSF Track 3

Definitely not bad for a two-hour effort, Lee, but this one could be fleshed out further. The source melody is hugely altered when it comes in at :22, to the point where it's rendered nearly unrecognizable. The beatwork was very basic-sounding and plodding, and didn't really gel with the rest of the instrumentation or move the track along. Nothing against the tempo, mind you.

Also, the soundscape was relatively sparse despite the reverbed strings/ambiance. Could have been purposeful given the nature of the source material and its relation to the artistic vision here, but I felt like more could be done here to fill things out. 1:30-1:52 & the section repeated with strings at 1:53-2:15 sounded derived from the chorus of the original (:12-:20 of the NSF), but again you could barely make any overt connection.

I hit 3:23 with the last section and it just seemed that while things somewhat changed up, the overall groove is the same throughout, and the composition didn't have much dynamic contrast throughout. The plodding beats and so forth at 4:10 just seemed to retread what came along earlier. Fill things out a bit more, get the percussion a bit more varied and settled into the rest of the track, and make the arrangement more recognizable instead of venturing into extremely liberal territory. Would have never believed this was the source tune if you hadn't actually linked to the MIDI here.

NO

I have to say this sounds quite pretty, like a lot of TO mixes. This is a very enjoyable listen. Great instrumentation and blending of sounds. It's a pretty good concept and I think it sounds great for a 2 hour effort, but it still does sound like a 2 hour effort regardless. What are you thinking, seriously? Why are you submitting a 2 hour made mix to OCR? This is not ready for posterity.

My main gripe about this is the lack of any substance. The whole mix is compositionally and instrumentally very sparse. There's not much fx processing going on here either. Everything sounds untreated and vanilla. This needs to be worked on more. Drums and percussion get redundant after a while to boot.

There are also clipping/crackling/audio issues like at 2:46 and elsewhere.

TO I really am digging your work though. I hope to hear you resubmit this or more from you in the future. Please be more discriminating or thorough on what you submit though. NO