OCR01350 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Memories Frozen in Time' *RESUB*

GrayLightning

DCT Resubmit

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33775

Here's a new version of my Sonic 3 Ice Cap Zone remix that was rejected last year. Here's all the details and stuff, let me know if you need anything else.

Your ReMixer name: DCT; Just Us

Your real name: Duane Thorpe (DCT); Andre Rainey, Steve Roberts, Van Chambless (Just Us)

Your email address: DCTmusic@aol.com (DCT); JustUsMusik@aol.com (Just Us)

Your website: http://www.thebigshot.com (DCT); http://www.justusmusic3.com (Just Us)

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 1135 (DCT)

Title of mix: Memories Frozen in Time

Link:

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Ice Cap Zone

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: Everyone seems to look down on Ice Cap remixes because of the overwhelming amount of mixes that exist. Hopefully mine is different enough to stand out. It's a hip-hop mix (I know people are gonna HATE that), and there's rapping in it by a member of Urbanizm Music group Just Us (people are REALLY gonna hate that). Just like Iced Out Nine Twenty Two, there are homages to McVaffe's IceCapped and DarkeSword's Hot Ice, as well as a section of DarkeSword's original piece The Moonlight Ballroom (1st Movement).

Hope the judges like it!

-DCT

---------------------

Wow. I just finished listening to the whole thing.

This piece is smooth. REALLY smooth. I liked that a lot about the previous version; it had a cool, minimalist feel with a really laid back vibe. My biggest gripe with the previous version was that it felt empty, but the addition of the amazingly awesome lyrics by Just Us fill out the soundscape precisely as they should. There's a great, balanced sound. Production is clear.

Speaking of the lyrics, I really like them. There's a great message there that's skillfully conveyed. Fantastic.

n00bs will probably hate this because it's rap, or because the lyrics have nothing to do with Sonic, but that's why they're n00bs, so don't worry about what they say.

YES, without a doubt.

Ah, sky sanctuary intro. Nice relaxed groove,

we need more of this kinda stuff on OC!

I don't listen to THAT much rap, but the rapping sounds a bit like

Eminem. Great collab work from both of you!

The only issue some peeps may have with this

it is that the lyrics don't have much to do with the game. This mix will open the door for lyrics that don't have

to stick so close to what the original song was about - and so in that way this mix could be a revolution!

YES

Revised from my PM to Duane when I first heard this one.

http://www.zophar.net/gym/SK+SONIC3.RAR - 24 "Sky Sanctuary Zone" & 12 "IceCap Zone (Act 1)"

http://www.ocremix.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR00240 - "IceCapped"

http://www.darkesword.com/listen/original/mp3/moonlight.mp3 - "The Moonlight Ballroom (1st Movement)"

http://www.ocremix.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR01010 - "Hot Ice"

Some things take a lot of time to come full circle in this community. DCT originally wanted to have zyko rap on top of the initial instrumental concept of this mix, which I played all the way back on VGF14. Since then, Duane's been nothing but ambitious in working on his music and cultivating the talents of others, which has really come ot a head now that he's started Urbanizm Music.

This was still pretty chill, back from the last time I heard it. Some parts of the music composition have also been reworked since way back when. I wish the intensity changed up a bit at some point, but that's obviously not the point. The rhymes were nice; everything sounded so continuous, that it sounded like one take, though that can't be possible. Nice and laid back. Took a while for the vocals to come in - all the way until 1:07, so I'm glad y'all threw something in earlier at :45 to help lead into the real start.

Some will hate the lyrics for having nothing to do with the game, but if you're gonna be anal to the point of hating the song because Just Us aren't rapping about Sonic being a blue furry ball of speed, keep your trap shut. Remix lyrics don't have to be about the game to be enjoyable. That's part of the way in which some artists go about reinterpreting the music they've chosen. And if, for instance, one can think outside the box in terms of choosing an unorthodox genre for a remix, the same can be said for how lyrics are applied.

Whatever woodwind-type instrument came in at 3:47-4:08 sounded too synthetic and robotic, and was originally too loud vs. the music. You seemed to have a good thing going where all of the instrumentation took a subtle role while the lyrics are going, so hearing that thing blare out killed the flow a bit originally. You made a good move now pulling it back so it wasn't a big issue, and it served to compliment the vocals like the rest of the music.

That little strumming synth RIGHT at the end at 4:54, ah man, where was that during the rest of the track? Nice ear candy! Bring back that sound in the next mix!

Part of the rap & hip-hop game involves paying homage to the people that came before you, whether that be from covering an older track or showing off stylistic influences in your own material. Here Duane did a nice job referencing the styles of McVaffe & DarkeSword while showcasing his own flow.

Having Just Us involved really pushed "Iced Out Nine Twenty Two" over the top with this new version. Those guys you gotta watch out for. I've played a few original tracks of theirs on VGF including "Sweet Butterfly" & "Lord Can't Tell Me No" which you've gotta search out. I hope the future looks good for DCT and Just Us; Urbanizm Music's another area of the community that deserves your attention if you respect rap, hip-hop and R&B. No haters allowed. Truly nice work and hopefully not the last you've heard of these bros here at OCR.

YES

DCT mentioned the title of this mix borrows from my Memories Lost in Time Schala mix. NOICE. ;)

I loved the original version of this and this one polishes up and improves on that one. Great background material, almost new ageish.

Production as a whole is definitely above average, and the arrangement is definitely the highlight here.

Now I need to state there is absolutely no reason to hate on this mix for not having lyrics that is relevant to the game. But in cases as these, having absolutely no relationship can not be argued as superior to something that does. I do wish it did have some relationship with the game in that department, but it's a very minor grip. The rap part of it is excellent though. Quality delivery and solid lyrics also. The part at 4:40 sounds like Streets of Rage.

Quality and enjoyable mix. Easy YES. Welcome to OCR, DCT!

The production on this track is top notch from A to Z. Very cleanly recorded vocals with layered tracks that accent, not overpower, the main flow. DCT’s beat has got a straight northern hip-hop vibe and the relentless lyrical flow takes me back to classic NYC rap groups like Camp Lo and even Digable Planets.

What better to do with an Ice Cap theme than to chill the lead out, providing an excellent backdrop for Just Us’ lyrics. The theme sits oh so nicely under it all with layered bells and piano that come in a just the right times to keep themselves fresh elements each time we hear them. A possible problem with any lyrical remix of an instrumental source is coming up with lyrics that stay true to the vibe of the original. What Just Us has done is given us a positive song about life and music; these are two themes that will always be cohesive with the source. Nice.

I hope Shariq is wrong about the newbies out there because this mix deserves all of the love that OCR can pull together. Great work DCT and Just Us.

Good music bias: YES.

P.S.: I just listened to a few Urbanizm exclusives and for lovers of hip-hop and R&B, this is truly only the tip of the iceberg. Don’t sleep on DCT and the folks over there ya’ll. Hit them up ASAP.