*NO* Mirror's Edge 'With Faith'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: Fallen Seraph

Email address: fallen_seraphx@yahoo.co.uk

Userid: 10661

Personally, the "Still Alive/Shine" motif is a melody that feels so fragile and human. Placed within the context of the world of 'Mirror's Edge', it stands as something so contradictory to the synthetic glass cage that surrounds the player...in essence, an element of freedom and humanity.

I did not have a proper plan when approaching the arrangement, I sort of started with the Shine melody and the piece evolved from there - concepts forming as I worked from the intro to the final seconds. Early on during the arranging process, the idea formed of taking the melody and using it as an anchor for the player/listener whilst taking them through a glass/mechanical world took form.

The Shine motif consists of two parts - the first half, the straight-played melody; and the second, a line of descending notes. Whilst the first half remains largely consistent throughout the track, the appergio is modified slightly each time it is played to offer the listener a sense of movement (or, moments when they are, in essence, freerunning and enjoying the peace of it - the choice of piano made to push the fragility of the idea). Surrounding these "anchors" are intervals where the mechanical elements take hold of the piece. I feel that there is a certain purpose to each part of the song: for example, the drums act as a heart beat of sort, dropping out whenever Faith's, or the player/listener's, heart would stop (either at moments of making large leaps or of simply taking in the cityscape whilst running).

The motif makes its first appearance (unaltered) 19 seconds into the piece; again at 1:16, the motif comes in with a minute change towards the end of the descending pattern. At 1:55 mark, the descending notes now ascend; and then descends whilst holding some notes. The motif comes in once more for a final appearance at the 3 minute 33 seconds mark (where the second half is doubled in a higher register).

The title's nothing spectacular, I admit...it was pushed for after having largely failed at coming up with anything clever. The final part of the arrangement follows the concept that the player has made a leap, holding his/her breath whilst hoping they make it to the other side. As corny as it sounds, such jumps (whether within a game or in their average day-to-day real-life equivalents) are made largely with faith.

Interesting trivia? This current draft of the piece is Revision #14. I was initially going to sub it three months ago, but held onto it and reworked a couple of things. As a result: there's a new intro, some semblance of bass, revised outro, little changes here and there throughout the track...and...

Have I gone on for too long? Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy!

-------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Arrangement-wise, things were decent, but there are a few things seemingly missing. One, for good chunks of the song, the bass was seemingly missing, and the few areas it was audible, you had to strain to hear it. Combined to the flimsy sound drums, and the low end seemed really lacking. SOme of the synths used didn't really gel with the soundscape, which also felt thin in spots. I am beating up the production pretty bad here, but on the other hand, I think the arrangement is good, and really deserves a polished sound. I recommend hitting up the WIP forums, where there are some helpful people who can give you some additional advice to polish this up a bit.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

I think Andrew got this pretty much correct. The lack of a solid low end is making this overall feel a little weird, and the drums could use a bit more oomph overall.

I don't know if it's also because of the bass, but I feel like the soundscape doesn't develop quite like it should. The sounds start to get tiring on the ears after a while, and I think you could do more to change them up overall as well.

Love the source you used, and I think you treated it pretty decently, but the production side still needs some work.

NO (resubmit)

also agreed with OA. the arrangement had a good integration of the sources, but the mixing has some vital flaws. the bass was inaudible, but the kick drum was overly boomy. some of the synth sounds are a little generic, but overall the sounds and samples were okay, just un-balanced. drums felt repetitive, but I liked the little glitches and fills. keep at it.

NO(resub)