Email = narutosama@gmail.com

Website = Unavilable

Forum userid - 26854

* ReMix Info

Game = Killer Instinct

Individual Songs = "The Instinct/Main Theme"

Additional Info = None

Link to Originals = http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ki.rsn

Comments = The begenning and end main themes are derived directly from the title theme, as are the chord progressions, but the middle section is made up of bits which appeared in the CD quality revamped version of Killer Instinct's music as new parts to the music, not the actual in-game SNES music (the ones in question is the original "Cinder's theme (Trailblazer)", which contains a small solo I used in this piece, but doesn't appear in the in-game versino of the music, so I didn't mention it in the Individual songs, as you won't find it in the spc versions. Also the case for a small solo which appears in the revamped title theme, but not in the actual in-game title theme.

I first wanted to do this orchestral arrangement because when I listened to the high quality version of the title theme, I thought to myself how different it was from Mortal Kombat's theme. It didn't seem as bloodthirsty or heart-pumping - instead it sounded more regretful, and in some weird way, more dignified. That's why I wanted to rearrange it in the way I interpreted it, which I thought was best to bring it in an orchestral music piece.

i'm at 1:30 and so far i'm hearing more or less, the original. the attack on the strings is too slow, it sounds clunky and unnatural. at around 1:20 some piz strings came in and it sounds like they are 1/16th of a beat off or something...really akward. Although the arrangement gets more original past the 2 minute mark, the rhythmic clunkiness remains. the next section is more relaxed, but it feels harmonically and dynamically flat. it really needs more depth, more layers. Somewhere around 3:45 it's back to the original. it still sounds clunky, in some spots it almost sounds like you didnt quantize.

underdeveloped arrangement plus clunky execution adds up to a NO

This might have been unquantized to give it a more 'live' feel, however I do believe that a live orchestra would have done this with tighter timing, elements like the bass cello being an example of the off-timing of a lot of the instrumentation.

Bits like 1.37+ fully expose the dodgy string patches.

The arrangement isn't really engaging once the main credits theme is finished, not really much original material. The song finishes strongly with some more layers, but it was a case of too little too late.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ki.rsn - "Main Theme" (ki-01.spc)

Yeah, this was a fairly vanilla and very synthetic orchestral take on the source material. The string samples were aight, but the way they were used was lacking, with the note-to-note movement sounding unnatural.

1:45 finally started some genuine rearrangement. I liked the idea of the woodwind sample being placed in there, though once it swelled a bit louder along with some other brass samples, the samples were all too loud and exposed. Things need to blend together more naturally.

The triggering on one note at 2:40 was very flubbed. There was a cymbal swell at 2:50 that decayed way too quickly as well. By around 3:15 the arrangement was getting pretty boring as I wanted for something to happen. The source returned at 3:25 for the last section, lasting all the way until 4:53. Not too much in the way of dynamic contrast or build, and the source melody wasn't developed much. Like Jesse said, the strings during the runthroughs of the main theme were slightly off with their timing.

The arrangement needs more creativity beyond playing the original with strings for most of the time. Interpret the source material instead of copying it. Head over to the ReMixing forum for tips on how to improve your sound balance so that things here don't sound too muddy and you can get some ideas on how to strengthen dynamics. You can also look for information on timing and making the performance sound more natural. Post any works-in-progress to the WIP forum to get more feedback as well.

NO

The high frequencies have been chopped by your encoder. Might want to either encode at a higher bitrate or get a better encoder (LAME works best).

Firstly, I think the attack on the lead strings is too slow for some of the sections. As a result, some sections sound off tempo (1:16, 4:07…). The other lead instruments are ok however.

This is a very simplistic arrangement which I think is riding on the greatness of the original a little too much. I hear harmony in the supporting string/brass sections but it is very basic and it repeats which isn’t good since the strings never let up. The stings are pretty lifeless in general.

It was good to throw in the middle section to avoid overdoing the main theme, but the middle section (1:36-3:22) lacks dynamic variety. It’s a bare wall that I think you can do a lot more with. There’s just way too much time when the background strings are going at it solo or with only one note from another instrument backing them up. It really drags until about 3:44. I like the intensity swells at 0:47, 4:05, but they are far too few.

After the really cool intense lead-out to the ending, the ending itself was way too abrupt. Certainly some potential here. Keep working at it.

NO