FF7 remix: Anxious Heart, On that Day, Aerith's theme

HoboKa

I like this a lot. The intro was really nice. Really like the blend of strings and how the track progresses. Half way through it, it has a sort of John Williams feel to it. Really love the piano in the middle of it.

I can't really offer too much advice because I have literally no experience working with anything orchestral, but to me it sounds like you've got a really nice remix started here. The only thing I think it may need is perhaps some traditional percussion, just to perhaps move it along a little bit more, but at the same time, I'm thinking you should keep it as it is, cause it sounds nice and peaceful without it.

Really good work so far :D

I like this a lot. The intro was really nice. Really like the blend of strings and how the track progresses. Half way through it, it has a sort of John Williams feel to it. Really love the piano in the middle of it.

I can't really offer too much advice because I have literally no experience working with anything orchestral, but to me it sounds like you've got a really nice remix started here. The only thing I think it may need is perhaps some traditional percussion, just to perhaps move it along a little bit more, but at the same time, I'm thinking you should keep it as it is, cause it sounds nice and peaceful without it.

Really good work so far :D

Thanks. Spent the twilight hours last night working on this track and I almost forgot what it sounded like 'till I heard it again today ^^

Er, not sure about having percussion in it or not. The low piano notes in the 2nd half already detract from the sad feeling I was trying to convey, but at the same time they help fill out the low end, which is kinda lacking ><

I was hoping for more sad and less 'peaceful' sounding, but there it is I guess q.q

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

• 4 weeks later...
Very nice. :D

Given how faithful each section is to the source material, I don't think this would make the cut on oCR, but it's definitely a nice tune!

You're right there. This remix got instantly rejected, which is funny, since I've created some pretty bad (as far as OCR is concerned)remixes beforehand, which made it on to the panel (and subsequently got NO'd there). Anyways, thanks for the positive coment :)

Oh snap, that's an older version too, I'll give you guys the newer one lol.

It was probably rejected for the sample/mixing issues. Let me tell you right now, though, the arrangement is pretty awesome (even if a little conservative - I thought it was at least borderline with interpretation, though). I would argue that it isn't really that 'medley-ish', simply by the grace that it blends from one part to the next so well. Then again, I'm not on the panel, so I suppose my opinion on that doesn't matter.

The melodies really got mixed into the background in this one, and that just bugs me. The source did this too, and it bugged me back then too, lol. In the mix it might be a good idea to make the melodies more salient while mixing down some other elements (like the harp, for example).

I enjoyed it overall, though, even if OCR didn't :P

It was probably rejected for the sample/mixing issues. Let me tell you right now, though, the arrangement is pretty awesome (even if a little conservative - I thought it was at least borderline with interpretation, though). I would argue that it isn't really that 'medley-ish', simply by the grace that it blends from one part to the next so well. Then again, I'm not on the panel, so I suppose my opinion on that doesn't matter.

The melodies really got mixed into the background in this one, and that just bugs me. The source did this too, and it bugged me back then too, lol. In the mix it might be a good idea to make the melodies more salient while mixing down some other elements (like the harp, for example).

I enjoyed it overall, though, even if OCR didn't :P

Trash-talking a legendary VGM composer's work!!?? For shame!! =p Nevertheless, I hear you there on the lead melody being pushed back. But imo, I think there's a reason why Umaro mixed it just so; the chords convey the feelings just as powerfully as the lead melodies, even moreso at certain parts, so he probably decided to focus more on the harmonies, rather than on any individual melody. Considering the limitations of the software he had to work with back then, I felt that it was masterfully done :3 Sometimes Gario, you have to set aside musical theory and just look at the feelings that the composer is conveying, or at least trying to =D

Plus, this remix was sort of an experiment as well as an attempt to do some vgm remixing justice; just to prove to myself that I still have my music skills after all that down-time q.q, so I guess I'm not put down all that much.

Thanks for the comments :)