*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Icicle'

DragonAvenger

Hello again,

<< This is "Icicle," a remix of Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone theme. I am Techno Jon, my email isTechno.Jon96@gmail.com and I have a website at whytelytnin.co.cc. I don't know who will get this, but I would like to thank OA for giving support and suggestions. Some comments about this tune: A while back, I had sent in a remix of Ice Cap Zone. It was rejected; I did not have the best samples or mixing skills back then, so it was no surprise really. However, I decided to give it another shot. So this is what came out of it. The string intro was actually first developed in a test tune, it ended up going Ice Cap after some screwing about with it and so I decided to make a full-fledged remix out of it. This is the second mix of this particular tune, the first was rejected, and so I fixed it up and resubbed it. This probably took about a week total time, even if rather spread out. Many things were improved from the original, including the strings, piano, and overall flow of the tune.

----------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the sounds used for this, but the attack on some of the pads is so slow that it's hard to get a feel of where the beat is. When the melody comes in, it feels pretty buried, but when it becomes just piano, it's better.

The drum pattern is decent, if a bit repetitive, but it sounds so thin and muffled, with a ton of reverb. I recommend reducing the reverb, tightening it up, and getting the pads/piano/drums/synths to all play together.

Overall this has potential, but will need some polish in the production end to make it feel tighter overall. I hope to hear a resubmission. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew has most of the bigger crits, mainly that the pads are hitting slow, so everything feels off-beat. Aside from that, I'm feeling that there are some areas of the mix that aren't really doing much, and are just dragging things out. Trimming the fat will help condense the more interesting sections together and keep the interest level up.

NO (resubmit)

Haven't heard an icecap remix in a long time.

I dig your arrangement just fine, but the mixing is really dark. You need to scoop out the low mids on some of your leads. There's just way too much going on in the 200-500Hz range. Those strings are omnipresent and really should not be. Your leads need to be higher in the mix and brighter in general.

Clean it up a bit and I think the mix is pretty good.

NO