*NO* Crystal Hammer 'Dream Trip'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Obarski_Karsten/Crystal_Hammer.lha - mod.crystalhammer

Make the filename .MOD in order to play this in Winamp.

Too much of the boom-tss foundations never changing up at all until 2:36-2:50. Though the production was solid and the sounds were used well, the sounds were also very generic/stock selections. The mix doesn't do a thing to distinguish itself from tons of other Euro-style techno Commodore remixes.

The arrangement was too repetitive on account of sticking so steadfastly to the source. Aside from some changes in the supporting elements, the arrangement retread itself from :28 at 1:11 & 3:04. At least the intro here (00-:28) was rearranged from the first :22 of the source.

Some very natural and agreeable genre adaptation ideas in there but basically nothing significantly interpretive, which to be honest is about what I expected given the track record of Commodore submissions we've gotten on the panel during my time.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this is a fun source tune that certainly lends itself to the mix’s genre. The adaptation here doesn’t live up to the source’s potential however. The source has plenty of variety, interesting harmonies, key changes, lead changes and aside from the bass and drums, the source doesn’t really feel that repetitive for a 4 minute video game track. The mix however loses a lot of this by keeping the same harsh lead throughout, cutting some of the sections of the original, and shamelessly repeating the sections that are kept.

I would have liked to see more synth variety. If you’re going to stick with the same beat throughout, the synth processing and choice of synths needs to be very creative and have a lot of variety. For the most part the buzzy lead is alright but at 2:37 a smoother lead is desperately needed. When the beat cuts out and for a brief moment all that’s in the mix are creamy background pads, that sawtooth synth comes and slices any dream trip that I was having.

I think the mix is enjoyable for the most part but it is really not an improvement over the original. Bring in some more of the source, add some variety to the instrument choices (including the drums), avoid the fade-out on such a short track, put in some tweaking time and I think we will both be happier with the final product.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say, I found this a lot more interesting than the source material. I agree some of the sounds here are generic, but it's done well. So in that regard, I don't have much of an issue here.

The only reason I'm going to have to no this is I think the arrangement is fairly conservative. I'd like to see this as a foundation for more expansive, interpretive work added. How about expand the melody more, play with the structure or progression? Something. I have some other issues, but they are nitpicks and I'll leave my reservations with the one main issue cited above.

Very enjoyable though, but needs more at this point. NO

this is way too straightforward. the instruments are bland, the groove is generic, the arrangement is predictable.

there are very few layers in the track. bass, drums, melody, oversimplified pads. nothing remotely unique or interesting going on.

to top it off, there's a weak fadeout ending.

NO