*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'A Fugue to Return To'

djpretzel

ReMix name: Uboichi

e-mail: uubjacobson@quicknet.nl

File:

Game: Final Fantasy IX

ReMixed song: Place where I’ll return someday

The Place where I’ll return someday is piece of renaissance music. A Fugue is a type of music from the baroque-period. A fugue to return to is the combination of those two. I must warn though, a fugue is rather complex, so it may sound odd to those not used to it.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 101 "The Place I'll Return To Someday"

Just listening to the first part of things, most of the work done in manipulating this one was done with support work. I'm not put off by the style, but felt this one wasn't very interpretive to start.

Light, crackly audio deformations at :55 and 1:00-1:10, and later on.

New ideas were there at 1:08 with some original work before briefly moving back into the source at 1:29-1:46, then another original section, then the source tune again at 2:18, then an original section to close at 2:45.

Hard to create dynamics with a piece like this, but you tried when things got fuller at 2:18. Didn't like how the additional organ arriving at 2:18 droned on until 2:45. Some organ freestyling at 2:53.

Basically had source/original/source/original sections alternating. Would have liked to have heard the original and arranged sections integrate here. Don't mind the very dense atmosphere of the production, but need the audio glitches fixed as well.

NO

You sure this is a fugue, dude?

As Larry mentioned, there is a decent amount of crackling throughout. This may actually be the sample itself; I seem to recall a few organ samples with problems like that. And the lowend presents another problem with the sample- it's far too muddy; when the pedals have the melody the whole mix deteriorates into a mass of indistinct sound.

And given the short length of this mix, there are too many sections of all original material. Particularly as the style you were attempting to emulate lends itself to endless variations, there's simply no reason to introduce all new material (unless you were to make the piece longer).

And, like Larry, I found the sustained pedal near the end to be largely unsatisfying and a bit of a compositional copout.

This isn't a horrible piece or anything, but it doesn't really live up to its potential.

NO

Yeah the audio glitches are bothersome enough to warrant a rejection alone. They're everywhere.

Arrangement itself is promising, but as noted by others not quite there yet. I would especially listen to Israfel's advice.

The organ in this style is an incredibly difficult instrument to get right, I have not heard it done with great success in our community yet, if my memory serves. Trying to balance the mass of sound is very tricky in how that correlates to the composition.

You should consider submitting this with some production reworks and arrangement tweaks. Promising work, that hasn't arrived at its potential yet. NO

Since it’s been brought up, this mix sounds like it has the makings of a fugue, having distinct thematic introduction and development, but there are plenty of deviations from the classical norms. That says nothing of my feelings on this mix however as I enjoyed it for the most part. I’m not so opposed to the pedal drone at 2:18. I think it’s the dry and uninteresting way that the drone section concludes that leaves it feeling disjointed from the rest of the mix and in the end, unnecessary.

Arrangement was marginal at best. Some of the original sections were wonderful (1:20-1:29, 2:53-end) but the thematic sections did not achieve any great level of creative rearrangement.

At any rate I agree with Gray that the audio glitches on the organ sample need to be cleaned up before this one passes. Hopefully that's not too big of a problem. Consider what’s been suggested, clean it up and send it back.

NO (Please Resubmit)