Sleep, Beloved Child (Godom Lullaby from Paladin's Quest)

Archangel

Hey everyone!

It's been a looong time since I made a non-project arrangement, so here we go!

My new policy is to remix underdog music, which probably means I'm condemning myself to empty threads and dusty mixes. But hey, it's still better than remixing Aerith's theme! (Don't get me wrong--I like it, but not as remixing material.)

Anyway, you can listen to (and/or download) my arrangement of Godom Lullaby from Paladin's Quest here: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel UPDATE: A more polished version.

And here's the video with the source track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AArRIArXzY You can hear most of it from 8:27 onward. It's pretty short, just a 30-second melody.

The song's pretty much done, but I'd still appreciate any feedback you guys and gals might have.

Thanks for listening!

J.

Don't worry, I'll comment.

I saw your name as the remixer, so I felt obligated to at least comment on it - even if I don't know the source (I tried to play Paladin's Quest - couldn't stand it).

As usual, the orchestration was top notch. The flute was very tasteful, and the piano was quite fitting. I did feel that some of the instruments were a touch on the mechanical side (the choir, the harp & piano at times), but it didn't take enough from the track to distract me.

It all seems to be mixed a little on the lower end. Very deep... but it also doesn't sound quite as crisp as I'd like. Maybe adding a touch of highs to the master track or something would give it that orchestral sheen that I'm looking for.

Sounded great, though. I hope more people listen to this.

Hehe, to be honest, I had a feeling you might post a comment! Thanks a lot! Don't feel obligated to comment just because I'm the remixer, though. =D

I agree about some of the instruments being a little mechanical. The piano is SO hard to work with if the song is mostly quiet, because the samples don't show much timbre variation (same goes for the harp). I wish I had the equipment to record that part myself. It would be so much easier.

As for the general mixing, I have to admit I'm terrible at it. Also, I don't have any decent headphones. I'll try to mess around with some equalizer settings, though. I might even end up improving it, hehe.

Thanks again for your advice!

• 3 months later...

I will still say that you should allow more of the high end through your mix, as it still sounds lacking in that area for the sake of a realistic shine. I think the instruments are less mechanical than before, though, which is awesome.

However, before you submit this, please note that the quality standard has changes - Mp3s need to be at 192kbps or higher (up to 256kbps), or a VBR that is close to that. In your case I would go for 256kbps, since it's a pretty short track. It kind of snuck in the submission standards, there, but DjP should be making an official announcement about it any day now - best to make the fix while it's still easy to do. I would also find a better video to link to the source, if possible - it's hard to hear the whole thing on that vid, since it's broken up by the gameplay.

Yeah, you can submit it now and it'll probably be accepted, barring the Mp3 fix, though I would personally prefer some more high end EQ somewhere in the track to fill that space.

I really have no complaints for this remix. You should submit it.

Thanks! I'll do that as soon as I've polished it enough. There are still a couple of things that are bugging me.

I will still say that you should allow more of the high end through your mix, as it still sounds lacking in that area for the sake of a realistic shine.

Hm, I'm not sure what this elusive 'shine' is, but I think I get your point. =D However, I don't think I can solve this just by adjusting the equalizer settings. I might have to add some more instruments. Not sure what, though. I'd like to keep it as minimalistic as possible.

Mp3s need to be at 192kbps or higher (up to 256kbps), or a VBR that is close to that.

I came across that change in the submission rules by coincidence, actually! I was checking to see if there was a possibility of submitting a track that's bigger than 8 MB (I have a 8-minute track on the SD3 album) and I saw the minimal bitrate had been changed. Thanks a lot for the heads-up, though!

I would also find a better video to link to the source, if possible

I can't find anything better on Youtube, unfortunately. I was planning on putting the source tune and my arrangement in a .zip file and send it to the panel. That should be OK, right?

Thanks again for the comments, you two. I appreciate it!

Isn't this it?

Also, I love the soundscape you've created.

Thank you so much! No wonder I couldn't find it. The track's title is Godom Lullaby, not Godom Library.

Thanks for the nice comment as well. =)

Edit: The choir and vocal samples are all from Eastwest Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs. They're pretty good, but if you're looking for even better solo vocal samples, try Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices. That's something else!

Hm, I'm not sure what this elusive 'shine' is, but I think I get your point. =D However, I don't think I can solve this just by adjusting the equalizer settings. I might have to add some more instruments. Not sure what, though. I'd like to keep it as minimalistic as possible.

By 'shine' I meant 'brightness'... sorry for the ambiguous language; I had a brain malfunction. The track isn't bright enough to represent a realistic ambiance. I agree that just a twist of the knob will get the desired effect real quick - it's not a hard fix. I was just pointing it out there ;-).

I came across that change in the submission rules by coincidence, actually! I was checking to see if there was a possibility of submitting a track that's bigger than 8 MB (I have a 8-minute track on the SD3 album) and I saw the minimal bitrate had been changed. Thanks a lot for the heads-up, though!

Yeah, they removed the submission size limit entirely. For the sake of space and such, though, there is now a time limit, though to be honest I can't see that being really challenged for a very long time (and with the previous rules that limit was implied, anyway).

It's a very awesome and welcome change.