*NO* Ecco 2 'Blessing'

djpretzel

honestly the samples are hurting this mix a bit. the vocals in particular sound very unnatural. the composition is quite mechanical, and the arrangement is somewhat repetitive. there is certainly a dynamic crescendo, but it doesnt really lead anywhere, and then the mix drops out after a scant 3 minutes.

also the low percussion instrument sounds out of tune to my ear. could just be me.

NO

Really phony choir and cruddy wind instrument material opening things up. I'm afraid I don't have the original in front of me, but Gray might come through with recognizing the source tune and the level of arrangement. The composition itself was somewhat engaging.

BAD lowering of the note pattern of the support instrumentation at 1:36 and again at 2:04. The choir was really muddy and poorly positioned at this point. I liked the direction the composition went after 2:30 though. The execution was lackluster giving how the inhuman the vox and instrumentation sounded, but I liked the ideas there.

Head over to the ReMixing forum and get more knowledge on humanizing your sounds before attempting to submit again. As long as the arrangement ideas were there, feel free to work on this further and try again.

NO

We need more Ecco mixes, so it's nice of you to do one.

Unfortunately this is so midi grade in the production aspect and to some extent composition as well. The choirs attacks are way too pronounced, if you can edit the envelopes those should build much more slowly. Place the choirs in the back of your soundstage, that would help soften up the attacks and increase the decay. Use reverb and other fx processing tools to give this more atmosphere - in the way Spencer did with the Ecco soundtracks.

I agree, there is something odd sounding with the asian chromatic percussion, it just seems to hit odd notes off and on. Of course it could be also because the tuning was changed?

I liked a lot of the ideas here, particularly at the end parts, it just needs more polish at this point. I would also consider extending it by another minute. Promising mix, but it's not there yet. NO

The arrangement ideas and many of the sounds are pretty nice for midi quality stuff. I especially like the flute sequencing from 2:30-end. However, the problems that have already been mentioned are keeping this mix from shining.

After the key change at 1:30 the chromatic percussion repeatedly hits bad notes in addition to clashing with the music box sample which hits all of its notes. As Gray mentioned, the choir attacks should be more gradual. If you can’t physically change them (as if you’re only using basic midi editing capabilities) then you might try building attacks by having each choir note be a series of notes of the same pitch that gradually increase in velocity from zero to the final note velocity. This might not work on the faster choir sections but it would certainly eliminate the mechanical choir sounds at 1:23 for example. Hit the ReMixing and WIP forums for more help

Slightly repetitive but it’s not detrimental to this short mix.

Good midi grade mix but put in some work to take it beyond the limitations of the medium.

NO