*NO* Banjo-Tooie 'Glitter Gulch Club'

djpretzel

Contact info:

ReMixer name: Master Link

E-mail: koenvdwijngaart@tiscali.nl

ReMix info:

Game ReMixed: Banjo-Tooie

Name individual song ReMixed: Glitter Gulch Mine

Additional information about game (not added to site yet): Banjo-Tooie was the sequel to Banjo-Kazooie, a 3D platform adventure game starring a bear, Banjo, with a bird, Kazooie, in his backpack. It was released in 2000 for Nintendo 64. It was made by Rare. The composer for this game was Grant Kirkhope.

Original soundtrack: A part of original soundtrack is to be found at http://www.rareware.com/extra/downloads/download_n64.html under Banjo-Tooie.

My own comment: I wanted to join OverClocked for a long time now and just about a week ago, I figured out how to play the theme to the Glitter Gulch Mine on my keyboard. Immediately I went on to remix this song, resulting in the remix that I am now submitting. I've done this in FruityLoops using some soundfonts and drumloops from a DJ kit my uncle gave me. My main inspiration for this song was the fact that my parents forbade me to go out for a while because of bad grades in school. So I thought "hmm, if I can't go to the club anymore, I'll just get the club to my own house.".

http://www.rareware.com/extra/downloads/tooie/glitter_gulch_mine.mp3 - "Glitter Gulch Mine"

The opened up with some pretty plain and generic sounds that didn't do a good job of filling up the soundfield, though that was finally fixed up at :41 with a swirly pad joining in. The note patterns of the backing synths here weren't very melodic or dare I say musical. Man, just some ugly stuff at 1:01. Very poorly put together, unfortunately.

The arranged source tune, finally arriving at 1:08, wasn't engaging and the synth choices were grating and subpar. You could barely recognize it as an arrangement of the source material anyway. Already by 1:30, the composition was feeling too repetitive melodically though some little changes here and there were happening.

Finally reached the source tune being used overtly at 1:56, but that was poorly executed as well. Not to be mean, but the original's way catchier and sounds way better than this, which dragged on considerably. I'd really hit the ReMixing forum to improve your synth work and post your material to the WIP forum before you submit again. Needs better sounds, more variation, and dynamic contrast; the basics. Gotta crawl before you can walk, bro.

NO

Generic arrangement, I'm afraid. There are some nice ideas here, I do like the pads and the use of it, but essentially the composition is just too basic. Drums in general were very lifeless and limp. This needs more processing work to bring it to life. This needs some attention paid to the composition as well. It repeats the same thing over and over. Yes I know, this is supposed to be club music, but there's needed polish here. Where are the hooks in here, or even more conservatively, where's the hook in this mix?

Please consider posting to the WIP forum to get more feedback. This needs a lot of work compositionally and in production to give it character. Don't be discouraged, just keep working at it. Better luck next time. NO

Why am I loving this old-timey prospector source tune so much? Good stuff.

Some of the pieces in this mix are nice. The drum loop has potential, there’s some limited yet purposeful panning of the lead synth at 0:14-0:55, and some attempts have been made at applying some interesting effects like the flange on the synths. There’s also a really expansive pad that I like that comes in at 0:41. As a whole though this mix comes out sounding pretty flat and underdeveloped. Beef up your sounds with some selectively applied EQ, better separation of some of the background elements and possibly a compressor or other effect on the drum loop.

I’m with the other judges on the arrangement. For a source tune that I really enjoyed, this didn’t seem like much of an improvement and in many parts, the source tune was lost altogether. This is a fun mix but needs a good amount of work for it to really take off. Hit the WIP forum for more feedback and keep working at it.

NO

I'm in agreement with my fellow judges. To restate and to add my own opinions:

The sounds are fairly weak throughout. The synths in particular could use some work. Go easier on the effects like flanging/phasing and panning, and don't detune the sounds so much - instead, concentrate on making interesting sounds to begin with, and then add effects sparingly. As Liontamer said, the Remixing and WIP forums are a good place to start to get help here. The drum sounds are also pretty bad. You need to buff up your samples in this area or at least use the ones you have better; layer some ethnic percussion or hihat lines, vary the bassdrum, layer snares, use compression/reverb/distortion.. basically anything to make the sounds come to life and really set down a groove, rather than just plod along.

Aside from the technical aspect, the arrangement is on the weak side. It does display elements of the original, but its either too close to it, or far out. Try to find a balance when you're rearranging the tune. For instance, take the melody and change the rhythm, or take the progression and use snippets of the melody spliced with your own melody, vary the notes slightly, change the tempo or change keys, etc. There are lots of things you can do to make a mix fresh and exciting. As is, your interpretation is very repetitive and at times disconnected. Keep working at it.

NO